RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

1997 Fleetwood: 4 leveling jacks and just one rear jack..retract

Customer Question
We have a 1997 Fleetwood...
We have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder MH with 4 leveling jacks and just one rear jack will not retract. The spring is not broken.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: RV
5/1/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: I have been out all day and just came on here and noticed that nobody has gotten to your question yet. Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Can you give the name off the touch pad and any number as well. Once I have that I can get you to the correct manual and assist you in this. R.J.
The touch pad has no number on it. It is a "Power Gear" (a versa\tek company) I will try to attach a photo for you.graphic
Good job on the photo! Go HERE for a manual which should help you on this. The first thing is to check the connections on that jack and the fuses on the back of the touch pad.
Go to the trouble shooting section in the rear and follow the instructions. I would print out a copy of the manual so you have it for future use. Get back to me with what you find and we can go from there. A multimeter would be helpful here to test the solenoids if the rest checks out. It might be the touch pad..........and there is an upgrade kit now as these parts are NLA. I will be around all day. R.J.
My husband checked and all the fuses are good. The cylinder is clean and not rusty. It is the right rear jack which will not come up. No luck so far...
Check to see if you are getting a signal to the jack and then come back to the solenoid. A meter can tell you. It may be the solenoid is bad or a bad connection. A meter can tell you.
It pretty much has to be one or the other. Or the touchpad is bad on that jack. One way to tell is to swap the harness for that jack and one that works..........be sure you keep track of which is which so you can put them back again. This will show you where the problem is.........either in the solenoid or the touch pad. R.J.
My husband switched wires from solenoid #8 and #9 and pushed the retract button and the jack in question came back up. Then switched the wires back again and tried entire jack system and the curbside rear jack will not go down now. So is it a solenoid that is bad? He put an OHM meter across those two solenoid and had continuity through both. Suggestions???
That is the best way to tell.............check the ohms reading between the leads and then each one to a ground. Two tests. Solenoids are not expensive.............and if the jack that wouldn't work before works now it is the touch pad and not the solenoid or the control module. This has an upgrade now in a kit and has to be ordered from a dealer via a fax to Power Gear. Get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.

So, are you saying to try replacing the solenoids first?

The jack with the problem DOES NOT go down now that he switched the wires on the solenoids back to where they were originally. It did however work when he switched them as you stated to try.

If it worked when you switched leads then the solenoid is good..............the touch pad or control is the problem. That is sold as an upgrade kit through any RV dealer. The solenoid is fine. This is IF the fuses all check out on the touch pad and the control. Be sure you test them with a meter. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Ok, thanks for your help Randall. We will check into it more during the upcoming week. At least you have led us to the right direction as to what to look for and we did get the jack UP so we could move it! :) Thanks much!
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification