RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1998 Fleetwood: motor home..chassis..The indicator light..solenoid…

Customer Question
We have a 1998 Fleetwood...
We have a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind 35' motorhome on a Ford chassis. The indicator light on the panel above the walk in door for the auxiliary battery stays on and will not shut the lights off in the camper. You can hear the solenoid click, but nothing happens. The main battery disconnect turns off and on but the battery will not charge when the motorhome is plugged in. It goes dead over time. We had a 1996 Southwind and left it plugged in and never did turn the switches off and on and never did have battery trouble.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
3/28/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

The contacts in the solenoid may be burned and sticking. Or it might be some dirty cables or connections. These solenoids are either by the coach batteries or under the hood in the Battery Control Center. If you have a multimeter you can take some reading and test them. If you don't have a meter you can purchase one at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 to $35 for a digital readout version. These are easy to use and come with instructions. If you need more help with the testing let me know. Also check the fuses on the solenoid as it won't work it they are bad. R.J.
Are the fuses in the metal box under the hood labeled Battery Control Center? Is the solenoid in there also? Is there a wiring diagram or schematic available to look at?
There are usually some fuses in there as well. These are made by several companies.
Go HERE to view one made by RV Custom Products. The solenoids are in the back and notice the resettable breakers in the lower L/H corner. Push the button in to reset. Take a look at the control board as these are subject to getting burned spots and going open circuit. Go HERE for one made by Intellitec for Fleetwood. Yours may be somewhat different from these. Check the fuses on the solenoids themselves. These are usually 5 amp blade fuses. Let me know what you have and attach a photo if possible to your post.
You may have to crop it down some first. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Get back to me if you still need some help in this...........R.J.

I could not get our picture to attach to this box, but it did work to reply to your email and attach it there. I hope you will get it that way. Please let us know if you didn't get the email.

Thanks!

No photo.............it may have been too large. Try cropping it down first with your photo software. I will watch for your post. R.J.

I still can not figure out how to make the picture smaller so I'm sending this text and then I will send the picture in the next message. The picture is a picture of my control center circuit board. It looks like it's burnt and corroded by R1 and Q1. Do you know will that board come out by removing the phillips screws or is it connected in back to something? Would I better off to buy a new circuit board or a whole complete control box. Where would I get that at?

I will try to send the picture right away, otherwise I will wait until I hear back from you to respond with the picture.

Thanks!

This is one by RV Custom Products. What is the REV letter or number on the board? You can get this directly from Fleetwood. Just the board is sufficient..........I think the other things are going to be o.k.............I will watch for your photo. R.J.
Yes, you need a board.............Notice the Rev letter on the bottom. And even then they may upgrade this to a later one. This board has been revised about a dozen times or more. As I remember you just have to take the screws out and disconnect the wiring. Take the battery ground off first so you don't have any shorts. Look for any more burned areas when you get this out. You will want to check the disconnect solenoids as well.
Good job! R.J.

Do you happen to have the Fleetwood phone number or website. I think we ordered a part from them a couple years ago, but I don't know if I still have the phone number or not. Thanks!

Fleetwood Customer Service is 800 322 8216 and they will need your VIN number. R.J.
We ordered the circuit board and put that in and the lights on the switches above the door still did not go out. We then ordered the solenoids behind the circuit board and replaced both of them. Now when the motor home is unplugged from electricity, the switches act like they work and the lights go out. But when we plug in to electricity, the back up camera comes on, the red light on the leveling jacks switch comes on and the step goes up and down when we open and shut the door. The door switch is shut off, so that the step should stay out, but it doesn't. When it's plugged in, the main switch above the door does not light, or click the solenoid, or even show the battery level. I labeled all the wires when I unplugged them and made a diagram of the 3 that didn't have numbers on them. So I think I got them hooked up right unless someone had them messed up before. Do you have any suggestions?
Did you get a set of wiring diagrams from Fleetwood? This where I would start. Then take this one step at a time and check each connection you had off. This probably isn't going to be hard to solve once you find it.............that may be the time consuming part. The other alternative is to hire a mobile tech to come and do some testing for you. I would still get the schematics first. R.J.
No schematics came with the board. Do we have to get it from Fleetwood or is there some place on the internet we can get it? Thanks!
Fleetwood should have a complete set of wiring schematics for your coach. Fleetwood Customer Service is 800 322 8216 and you need to be ready to give them the VIN number.
ONce you have those you should be able to track this down. R.J.