RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1997 itasca suncruiser and the slide out only went..stopping..rv…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 Itasca...
I have a 1997 Itasca Suncruiser and the slide out only went out six inches before stopping. Now I can not get it to move in or out. The RV is level, also you can hear the pump running but there is no movement.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
3/20/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This sounds like you have a hydraulic unit............do you know who made this? There are about 7 or 8 companies who make the slide room systems for the various manufacturers.
You may find the name on the switch or on the motor or tank. You might also have a manual on this that came with your coach manuals. The three most popular ones are Power Gear, Lippert Systems and HWH. Dewald used to make some during that period as well. Get back to me with this so I can pull the correct manual and then I can help you track this down. R.J.
HWH leveling systems
The most common problem with this on an HWH system is a bad solenoid or check valve on the hydraulic controls. It allows the fluid to bypass the valve and won't build up the pressure to move it. This is a repair that will need to be done at a shop or have a mobile tech come out and service it. Be sure you ask them if they service HWH systems and get an estimate. It might be a problem with the pump...........and you should check under the coach to be sure you didn't rupture a hydraulic line. If you did there will be fluid leaking and dripping down. Get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.
I think this is your system here if you have HWH jacks as well. Notice the manual retract instructions. Another thing that can cause this is low fluid in the tank. If you have a leak someplace and the fluid level drops it can do this so check that as well. Get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.
no fluid leaking. the leveling jacks still go up and down (I am assuming its the same pump). just bought this thing today dont know alot about this RV. Could the fluid level just be low?
Yes...........check it first. With the jacks up it should be almost near the top or within about 3/4" or so. Low fluid can do this. Otherwise it is a bad solenoid on the pump assy. Check the wiring to be sure there are no loose connections. Take them apart one by one and then rehook them. If the pump runs and the jacks work then this is a problem on the portion for the room only. See that portion of the manual. Be sure someone didn't open the solenoid bleed screws and then didn't snug them back down. They do this to manually move the room when the power fails. That is a possibility as well. See the manual. Those are the "T" valves on the end of each solenoid. Just snug............not as tight as you can. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification