RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2500 Onan propane generator in my camper..only runs..10 min…

I have a 2500 Onan...
I have a 2500 Onan propane generator in my camper. It starts well, but only runs for a short period (less than 10 min.) then shuts down as if it runs out of propane. The other propane appliances in this camper work fine, and the generator was just serviced by Cummings N.W. Am i missing something that needs attention?
3/15/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

When was the last time you had the LP pressure checked at the regulator? You can't go by the other appliances as some have a built-in regulator which further reduces the pressure. This needs to be checked at least once a year. Low LP pressure can cause a host of LP issues. Have that checked and then get back to me if this doesn't resolve the issue. You can take it off and into a shop to be tested and adjusted if it is an adjustable model. Be sure and allow plenty of time for it to equalize the pressure when you hook it back up. Turn on a stove top burner and let it burn until it is full flame and only blue and no orange in the tips. R.J.
I have a dual tank / hose set-up off of this regulator. Can the hoses go bad also, or should i focus on the regulator?
The feed hose can get some "honey" in it which impedes the flow of the LP. The low spot in the hose collects this like a sink trap. This is caused from a reaction of the ethyl mercaptan and the rubber in the hose. Drain it out when you remove the regulator. Leave the hoses on for them to test it............saves time. Get back to me when you get it back together if you need to. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. You can always ask for me by name. Most of the time I can give you a quick answer and save you a bunch of $$$ besides. Get back to me if you need more help on this........... R.J.