RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Hello - I have a 1996 alfa See-ya 5th wheel...living room slideout

Customer Question
Hello - I have a...
Hello - I have a 1996 Alfa See-Ya 5th wheel. My problem is the living room slideout- it will always extend when the switch is pushed but, will not always retract. When it does not retract, it tries to extend more, momentairly. I can always get it to retract by manually tripping the contacts in the control box in the storage compartment. This leads me to believe the interior slideout switch is the problem? What do you think? Thanks, Bill.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: RV
3/3/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Bill...........Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

That would be my thought as well and surely the place to start. Do you know who made your slide room hardware? If you can get me that I can grab a Service Manual for you..........no extra charge. These are handy to have for this sort of thing. You should have a manual that came with the coach and sometimes the name is XXXXX XXXXX switch. Power Gear puts their name on the control module as well. Get back to me with this and I can assist you further. R.J.
Randall- The trailer is in storage and I don't have access to it right now. To answer your question, I believe the slideout hardware was made by RBW. Bill
Not a problem, Bill............RBW doesn't make a control module for their slides..........so you may be talking about the resettable breaker. I still think the switch is bad, but you should check the batteries and cables and you should have the batteries load tested at least once a year and checked for shorted cells. Clean or replace any corroded ends on the cables. Always keep the shore cord hooked up when you move the slide as much as possible or have the generator running if you have one. Slide rooms take a lot of amperage to operate. Also be sure you use some slide room lubricants on both the rails and the wiper seals on a regular basis. Thetford makes some good ones for this. RBW has been purchased by AL-KO and I can't get that manual any longer. RBWs link is damaged. Please get back to me if you need more on this after you check these things out. R.J.
Randall- Can you recommend a (inexpensive) switch I can buy and see if that fixes the problem?? Bill.
Any RV shop will carry this switch. I would take a photo of this with you if you don't want to take the actual switch. Mark the wires on a drawing if you take them off. Some have just three and some have six wires. They are not that expensive. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for your help Randall . Bill
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification