RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1999 Fleetwood: coach is out..Right side works fine...shore power…

Customer Question
1999 Fleetwood Bounder; !20v power...
1999 Fleetwood Bounder; !20v power on left side of coach is out. Right side works fine. Have checked circuit
breakers, shore power connection. ??
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
1/3/2011
RV Mechanic: Steve F., RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification

Have you checked the GFCI outlet to make sure it hasn't tripped? It could be that the affected outlets are all GFCI protected and are downstream of the main GFCI receptacle.

That was one of my thoughts, but the only GFCI I have been able to locate is
one receptacle in the kitchen. Any idea where a "main GFCI" would be ??
Not part of circuit breaker system.

By "main" I mean the GFCI receptacle that has the "test" and "reset" buttons on it, so you have located it. Your coach will likely only have a single GFCI circuit.

Do you have a volt meter or multi-tester you can take some measurements with? Can you describe to me exactly which receptacles are without power in terms of their locations?

No 120v in bedroom, bath, and entire left side of coach. No 110v in bay where shore
power connects

I don't quite understand what you mean by "No 110V in bay where shore power connects", do you have a regular outlet in that bay?

Do you have a multi-tester?

Also, do you have a generator, and if so, do you have the same problem when running off generator power?

Yes, the problem occurs with the generator also.
Yes there are 110v outlets in the bay.
No & Yes, I have 2 multitestors; I just have to find themYes, the problem occurs with the generator also.
Yes there are 110v outlets in the bay.
No & Yes, I have 2 multitestors; I just have to find them

ONE OF THE PROBLEM RECEPTACLES HAS A "GFCI PROTECTED OUTLET"
STICKER. hOWEVER, IT IS NOT A GFCI RECEPTACLE WITH A TEST BUTTON, ETC.
THE QUESTION IS, Where is the GFCI for this circuit??Yes, the problem occurs with the generator also.
Yes there are 110v outlets in the bay.

THE QUESTION IS, Where is the GFCI for this circuit??

Just checked all the afftected outlets; all are part of a GFCI circuit. However, the
bathroom has a GFCI receptacle had test button which was popped out and I reset it.
I

As I mentioned in my first posting, All the GFCI protected outlets are generally protected off the first GFCI receptacle. This "main" receptacle, which is the one you already located with the buttons, protects all the ones downstream of it. All the downstream receptacles are regular in appearance, but are wired to the main one so are protected. Therefore, it is worth considering that the main GFCI receptacle is faulty, however I'm not convinced all the dead outlets you mentioned are GFCI protected. The outlets that are required to be GFCI are exterior, kitchen, and bathroom.

Once you locate your meter, we should be able to track down the problem. Right now I am thinking it is either a faulty circuit breaker, faulty GFCI, or bad generator transfer switch.

I never asked you if the "main" GFCI receptacle (the one in the kitchen) has power?

Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification
The kitchen GFCI receptacle works fine and I am using it.
The only other GFCI receptacle I have located was in the bathroom and initially
had the test button popped out. I did reset it, with no results.
I will search for my multitestors; if necessary I think one of my fellow RV'ers may
have one.
I am inclined to agree with your analysis; don't quite understand the generator
transfer switch being part of this.
I'll go find my multitestors.The kitchen GFCI receptacle works fine and I am using it.
have one.
transfer switch being part of this.
I'll go find my multitestors.

SUCCESS !! Made mental error when using generator; didn't plug the shore power back in ! Apparently, the bathroom GFCI receptacle was the culprit.

Great! Glad to hear you sorted it out. Sometimes we just have to double-check ourselves Smile

It was a pleasure working with you, please come back here and ask for me if you require assistance in the future!

Thank you for the bonus and payment, it is much appreciated!