RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

until last night atwood electric furnace worked..only blow cold air…

Customer Question
until last night atwood electric...
until last night atwood electric furnace worked - now it will only blow cold air -what can we check. Back furnace has been broken all week so we need this one.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
1/2/2011
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 11 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

The first thing is to check the voltage, anything under 10.5 volts the furnace wheel will not come up to proper speed and close the sail switch which sends a signal to the control board for the ignition process. IF you can hear it trying to ignite then you might have another problem, normally it will try three times and shut down including the blower. The control board also could be faulty, the last one I worked on had the same symptoms and it was the board, the voltage needs to be verified and make sure the sail switch is not stuck. IF you get me the model number I may be able to send you a manual for troubleshooting and will show you the components. Hope this helps.

thanks - voltage is 14.5 on both batteries, we hear it try to click on - model is 8500-4 series. can you tell us where/how to check sail swith.

OK

The sail switch sits near the blower motor go HERE and you will see a break down of the furnace with the sail switch,(page 41) it looks like a paddle and when you touch it should move freely, make sure you isolate power prior to working on the furnace, sometimes it is easier to remove the furnace and work on it on a bench. Hope this helps.. This also has a troubleshooting guide and explain what each component will do it covers a few models but yours is there also.

is this an electric furnace and gas furnace or is it a gas furnace controlled by electric

thx

IT should be a gas furnace controlled by 12 volts from the thermostat. So if it needs to be pulled out the lp needs to be shut off as you have a line coming into the furnace. Make sure the other LP appliances are working like the stove and fridge, IF they are not then make sure the LP detector is not tripped and the valve on the tank is fully opened. I will check back later to see if you have replied...

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic