RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I own a jayco Eagle Series 331 rlr 1996...heater and lost power…

Customer Question
I own a Jayco Eagle...
I own a Jayco Eagle Series 331 RLR 1996. I can not find the sercuit breakers. I plugged in a heater and lost power to my fridge and several wall plugs. I found the fuzes right next to the fridge but no switches. Please help!!!

Terry
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
12/22/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Check to see if you tripped one of the GFCI receptacles like this one HERE. There is one in the kitchen area and one in the bathroom. These have two buttons on them. You have to push the button in to reset. You really have to be careful about using an electric heater in your coach. It has to be on a breaker by itself. If you end up picking a plug with too many other things it will do this. Even then, it has to be one that draws less than 1500 watts. The oil filled radiator style heaters made by DeLonghi or others are the best. The give good heat. I heated my 27 ft unit all winter one year without any other heat. If you still have a problem get back to me. R.J.

Edited by RANDALL on 12/22/2010 at 12:50 AM EST
I have a GFCI receptacle in the kitchen and I reset the plug and still having the problem. No power to the plugs in the living room and one plug in the bedroom. The fridge is on gas now for no AC power. I tried to run an extension from plug in 30 amp power box outside to living room and this is when I lost fridge. I still have microwave furnace and airconditioner. In the motorhome I would reset a breaker. What do think. Thanks.
Did you check all the breakers in your service panel? Flip them all off and then back on. Sometimes they are off and don't look like it. Check the GFCI receptacles to be sure they have reset...........if they won't then the problem is still on the circuit. What is the make and model of your fridge? If the heating element is going out it will trip the breaker sometimes as it can short out. Get me that and I can tell you how to check that. Do you or a friend have a multimeter so you can take some voltage readings? That would make this easier to run down. They can be purchase for about $15 to $35 at most automotive or hardware stores for a digital readout version. These come with instructions and are easy to use.
Get back to me and let's see where we are...........R.J.
This the question I asked from the first. Where is the circuit breaker panel? I found the fuses but no switches to reset the circuit. Thanks.
If this is an American or a WFCO panel you have to remove the cover on the area next to the fuses to access the breakers. If you don't have either of those get back to me with the last 8 digits of your VIN number and I can look it up. R.J.