RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Forest: motor home..fuses, there is power going from the fuse box…

We recently purchased a Forest...
We recently purchased a Forest River Berkshire motorhome. We are having problems getting either tv to come on. We have checked all fuses, there is power going from the fuse box but seems like none coming back to it. We also have one outlet in bedroom with no power. Having plugged in extension cord to hot outlet and to tv it worked. Hoping you can tell us of a magic button that we have yet to find to turn on power to that circuit. Any help you give us is greatly appeciated. Thank You Very Much email: [email protected]
12/19/2010
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 11 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

I would be looking for a tripped GFI if you are missing power on an outlet. Since the TV works using an extension cord you know the TV is not the problem. Since this is run off of AC voltage make sure the inverter is on. The GFI will have a test and reset button on it like you find in a house, normally near water sources such as the kitchen or bathroom but, from my experince they can be anywhere in the RV or outside. Make sure all the main breakers are not tripped... also, make sure no breakers on the inverter are also tripped.

Most RV'S do have an ignition lock out that could be run by 12 volts, what this does is kill power to the TV when the coach is started or put in drive, this is per design so the driver is not distracted.

IF you can not find anything I would go get a polarity checker from home depot, this will plug into the outlets and tell you if there is a wiring issue. You can plug it into the outlet that is not working to check. These are great to have anyway for testing.

Hope this helps some, I think the key is the outlet that is not working and I would look for a GFI outlet tripped.................... Robert

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic