RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Pilot: I have an Atwood/Wedgewood RV stove that..stays lit..fires…

I have an Atwood/Wedgewood RV...
I have an Atwood/Wedgewood RV stove that has a very temperamental oven. Lights and pilot stays lit. Burner fires and brings oven to temperature. About 60% of the time, when the burner goes off, the whole thing shuts down and will not then maintain temperature. I have to open the door, cool it down and then restart....going through the whole process again. I first replaced the pilot tube/thermocouple. Same thing. Then I replaced the entire thermostat...twice, with brand new parts from Atwood. Worked fine the first couple times I used it, then the last time...same thing. I also have a touchy left rear burner that doesn't always want to light with the ignitor. Big spark from the ignitor. Are these related issues? Can you advise what might be wrong with this @#%*[email protected] thing?
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

What is the model number of this unit? It will be on the data tag under the top. When was the last time you had the LP pressure checked at the regulator. This should be checked at least once a year and adjusted if needed. Get back to me with this and I an assist you further. R.J.
Model number is XXXXX I don't know if the LP pressure has ever been checked at the regulator. Are you talking about the regulator on the stove itself where the supply line connects to it or the main regulator at the LP tanks? Neither have been checked though. Wouldn't that show up in the whole stove/oven though? It starts and has good pressure when warming to temperature and the stove burners have plenty of juice with a good solid blue flame.
Low LP pressure at the tank regulator is responsible for many LP related issues. It causes the appliances to run lean as the fuel to air ratio will be wrong. It is more critical than most people realize. I ask this on any LP issue. The other thing that can happen is the "honey" builds up in the supply line at the lowest point............usually just down from the regulator and it can cause the LP to surge and on pilot flames they go out or act erratically.

The rear burner sounds like a feed tube that isn't aligned right or an igniter that isn't in the gas stream just right. Check to see that it looks just like the other ones. Fine tune as needed.

On the oven portion..........I don't think this is a parts problem. These can be very touchy on the placement of the end of the thermocouple in relation to the flame. They sort of "snap" into place when they are correct, but they can be in too far or back to far. The tip should be in the center of the flame. If the flame looks "lazy" then LP pressure is suspect. Be sure there isn't some cobweb in the jet area where the air feeds into the side. Insects love the ethyl mercaptan in the LP and are attracted to the smell.

Check these things and then get back to me if you still have a problem. Follow up questions on the same issue are included in our fee which is paid to us from your deposit upon acceptance of an answer. R.J.
Okay, so the cobweb or insect potential is at the jet area on the oven burner, correct?

Also, the tip of my pilot thermocouple I think is perhaps too far back.... I don't recall it actually touching the flame. Seems to me it was above the flame, near the tip of the flame, but not actually in the middle of it. So the tip of the thermocouple should actually touch the flame right actually in the flame, correct? Last question then as well....should I remove the burner and clean it out or will any cobweb or insects be right at the air feed? Thanks.
Yes.............and it doesn't take much. The tip should be fully engulfed in the flame. You might take the burner out..........be careful of the orifice not to damage it. It is just a pin hole on most. As I said...........I think your problems are mostly alignment. I would still have the pressure checked if you haven't done that in the last year. One of the most neglected items on all RVs..........and very important. Hope that helps..........you can Bookmark this and come back to it any time. R.J.
Thanks Randall. I'm really sorry to keep pestering you on this. Can I check the regulated pressure myself? If so, should it be around 15 psi? I'm just so far from the closest RV repair place and I don't want to drag my trailer all the way there just to check the pressure if I can do it myself. I'm assuming a simple inline guage will do. Last time....I promise to accept....
No, it has to be done with a manometer which any RV shop will have. You can take the regulator off and into them if that is more convenient. More like 6.3 oz............just a breath so that is why it is so critical. Just unscrew the hose and take the whole thing into them.
Most will check it for just a small fee or free. Ask first.............a new one isn't that expensive. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks Randall. I appreciate your advice and will follow up accordingly!
Get back to me if you still have problems once you get this done............I am usually here each day except Saturdays. R.J.