RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

ciruit board flashes every 3 seconds should blower come on frist…

Customer Question
heat will not come on...
heat will not come on, thermostst on, furnace red light on ciruit board flashes every 3 seconds should blower come on frist
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
11/6/2010
RV Mechanic: RV SPECIALIST, RV Mechanic/Diesel Mechanic replied 11 years ago
RV SPECIALIST
RV SPECIALIST, RV Mechanic/Diesel Mechanic
yes blower should come on first. what is your model number of the furnace?make sure the blower wheel is free if it is not let me know sometimes mud dobbers get on the exhaust wheel . let me know we are here to help thnaks greg dinsmore
atwood 8535 iv yes blower wheel is free checked voltage to blower motor none
when you cycle the furnace on check the voltage at the blower when its trying to light. i am going to give you some diag sheets for your furnace and me and you will fix this
i dont here it trying to light only thing that happens is light flashes every 3 seconds
this means ign failure and usually the blower will come on and give this code lets take the connection off the board and wait a few seconds and reinstall it. because we should have the blower come on first could be a sail switch stuck but i am loading my shop compter email now and thats where my customer dig sheet is i can get to you
i dont here it trying to light only thing that happens is light flashes every 3 seconds i took board out and put it back already same results

so is the fan coming on now???

no only light flashes no voltage to fan
Tthere are three parts to the ignition system, the control board, the electrode wire, and the electrode assembly..

The fan speed has to be such that enough volume of air is flowing so that the sail switch can sense the air flow and tell the control board it has air airflow.. So it will turn on the gas. At the same time the control board will send high voltage via the electrode wire to the electrode assembly. The voltage seeks a ground between electrode and ground probe and a spark occurs. The spark then ignites the main burner.

If no flame is sensed then the control board performs a lock out turning off the system so lets check the sail switch located in the front plastic housing maybe its stuck and it thinks the blower is running let me know greg
checked switch with ohm meter after pulling cover is working
switch is opening closing or furnace is working? g
switch is opening and closing
ok then lets put it back together there .the control board realys the power through it and straight to the fan motor i will look some more at the diag this is a weired one. and we are sure its three steady flashes and then a pause?
no flashes 1 time every 3 seconds

my bad i was reading it wrong i beleive we have a high limit switch failure that what this code means .so we need to do the same you did to the sail switch check the ohms on the high limit switch sorry

where is high limit switch and is it normal open
no should be normaly closed. and i do not have my parts manual at home but theres two places one is behind the burner assmbly in the back of the furnace and the other is behind the blower motor(they monitor the burner housing) here is the wiring diagram if we cant see it right iff then i will go to the shop and get the diag for your furnace greg https://www.rvparts.com/itemNotes/schematics/Atwood/Furnaces/documents/85wiring.pdf
if switch is good would circuit board be bad
yes but i think the switch has failed
RV SPECIALIST
checked 2 white wires coming out of housing switch checks good
the wires will have to be off the switch to check the ohms did you do that just checking thanks greg