RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Fleetwood Wilderness travel trailer heating problems.

Customer Question
I have a 31 foot...

I have a 31 foot Fleetwood wilderness travel trailer. I have only operated the air conditioning since I purchased it 2 months ago. Tried this weekend to turn on the heater and nothing happens. I found the fuse box and the fuse is ok.

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
10/11/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

What is the make and model of your heater? Is this a heating element in the A/C or an LP furnace? Get me that information and I can assist you further.

I believe it's a LP furnace. the Thermostat operates both the heater and air conditioning.

It says it's a Coleman. When put on heat, in the auto and fan position nothing happens.

That sounds like the A/C unit. The furnace should be either Atwood or Suburban. Does it have an outside access door that you can get to it from the outside of the coach? You also should have a manual on it that came with your coach. If you have an outside access you can open that and the make and model will be on the data tag. Once I have that I can pull the correct manual and we can "be on the same page" while I help you resolve this. R.J.

I am very sorry. There was no manual when I brought it. There is an outside furnace door that says hot. I am currently 170 miles from my trailer. I keep it in a campground year-round.

If the pilot was not lit, would that effect the blower no responding to the thermostat?

I checked the furnace fuse and that is ok.

You can tell I'm new at this owner thing.

Most of these are electronic ignition models and especially by 1997. It is probably an Atwood model and go HERE for a Service Manual which covers these. I would print this out or at least Bookmark this so you can some back to it. The thermostat closes the circuit so that it calls for heat and then the motor will start up and go through a purge cycle and then ignition will be attempted. There has to be at least 11 VDC available. The LP pressure needs to be adjusted at least once a year to be sure it is adequate. Some regulators aren't adjustable and then it would have to be replaced if it is out of spec. Many times, it is the control board which is not working properly. A 12 VDC test light is your best friend here and you can usually follow the current through the unit and find out what is keeping it from ignition. Hope that helps please get back to me if you need more help with this.