RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

rv park..couple of hours went by and everyone elses camper powered up.

Customer Question
I was at an rv...
I was at an rv park a month or two ago, the power went out on our row of campers. a couple of hours went by and everyone elses camper powered up. i fiddled around with everything and mine finally came up. I used it about a month ago, all electrical worked fine. I went out this last weekend and I had no power to the outlets, a/c, water pump/tank gauges, fridge & lights. I had 2 decorative light over the couch that worked and the microwave would run. I had like 34-35 volts coming out of the outlets direct, at the breakers i had 120v and all of the fuses had power on both sides(about 34v). any ideas?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
10/6/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. I just want to clarify some of what you said. You have 34-35 VAC coming out of the 120VAC outlets? And the 34 volts on both sides of the fuses is AC or DC? Check the output at your converter on DC and let me know what it is putting out for voltage...........both at the fuse panel and at the batteries. Get back to me with this and we can go from there. R.J.
I got up to the location where my camper is this weekend. I have 120 volts across the outlets like I am suposed to. The lights in the roof, refrigerator, a/c & heater wouldn't come on. All of the breakers had 120v a/c coming out. On the fuses there was 27v dc on both sides of the fuses. I had it plugged in for several hours and all of a sudden one of the lights came on. I checked everything and from what I can tell it was all working. I did not remember to get the voltage at the batteries but I did bring them home. If the batteries are mr fully charged would this be the culprit?
Are you sure about that VDC reading? 27 VDC is way too high............are you sure you have the batteries hooked up properly...........this would usually indicate you have them in series hookup instead of parallel. Please clarify this for me. R.J.
When I unhooked them I think they were in series. The voltage was 27 Vdc I double checked that. The wires on the batteries had a red coming off the trailer to the positive on bat 1 and a white coming off the trailer to neg side of bat 1. Coming off of battery 1 to battery 2 the red was tied to the positive and white to the negative. I bought the trailer back in march. The previous owner said he had replaced the batteries with in the last year.
If these are 12 VDC batteries then they need to be in PARALLEL or you get 24 VDC instead of 12 VDC...........this will play havoc on your controls and circuit boards. Double check this and get back to me. R.J.
So to verify parallel, both positves shoud be connected together with the red wire coming from the trailer and both negatives tied to the white coming from the trailer? Is the way i need to have them connected and if this is correct should I have 12v on the fuses inside?
That is correct.............let me know what you find and we can go from there. R.J.
I know for sure that is the way it was tied in outside. I thought it was weird getting the 27 volts on the fuse box I just thought it was a 24 v. System.
There are no 24 VDC systems on RVs except for the starting circuit on some diesels. Hopefully, you didn't damage any of the control boards as these don't handle high voltage well. Once you get these hooked up properly then I would check all your appliances to be sure everything is working fine. Get back to me if you need more help with this. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification