RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

96 komfort 5th wheel.ON a recent camping trip..sounded..kick..camper…

I have a 96 komfort...
I have a 96 komfort 5th wheel.ON a recent camping trip ,the a.c. unit started acting up.IT sounded like the compressor kept running even after shutting off the ac.The fan would kick on and off like it should when you adjust the thermostat,but the compressor keeps running even after turning off the switch.Also the electric cord got hot while this was happening.Now when you plug in the camper,the compressor starts running without even turning the ac on.what is going on.
9/29/2010
RV Mechanic: Steve F., RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification

In terms of the shore cord heating up, this is normal. The AC draws a lot of current, so it's normal for a 30A shore cord to get warm when the AC is running. Don't worry about that, as the shore cord wire is rated for greater than 30A, so the breaker would trip if too much current is flowing.

If the compressor is running when the unit is turned on, it is because one of the relays that tells it to turn on and off is sticking. If this is a ducted unit, one relay is on the circuit board inside the wall thermostat, and the other is on the control board inside the rooftop unit behind the ceiling plenum.

The way you should be able to tell which one it is is to open up the wall thermostat and disconnect the compressor wire. If you have a Dometic Duo-therm unit, the compressor terminal will be marked "cool". If you have a Coleman unit, the compressor terminal will be marked "Y" (probably a yellow wire). Disconnect this wire from the wall thermostat and see if the compressor turns off. If it does, you need to replace the wall thermostat. If the compressor doesn't turn off, you will need to replace the control box inside the AC unit, which can be found by removing the ceiling plenum and looking up inside the unit.

If it is not a ducted unit, you probably need to replace the power rotary switch.

Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification