RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

WE HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1994 dUTCHMAN CAMPER..ATWOOD

Customer Question
WE HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A...
WE HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1994 dUTCHMAN CAMPER AND WE HAVE TRIED TO GET THE HOT WATER HEATER TO LIGHT AND IT WILL NOT STAY LIT IT IS A ATWOOD HOT WATER HEATER
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
9/20/2010
RV Mechanic: Steve F., RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification

Could you possibly tell me the model number of the water heater so I can try to assist you with this?

Assuming it's a pilot model (as opposed to a direct spark model), is it the pilot that is going out, or the main burner?

HERE is the manual for your water heater.

In the meantime, in the case of the pilot going out, the thermocouple would certainly be a prime candidate, so please clean the burner using compressed air if you can. Ideally you should remove the burner and blow it clean, as well as the orifice, which is the small hole just before the burner. Do NOT stick anything in that hole as it is very easy to oversize, which would be bad!

Just blow clean the burner and the orifice. Then have your propane system checked (which should be done annually), to make sure you have the proper propane pressure is correct, your appliances are functioning properly and are clean, and you have no leaks.

Once you complete these tasks, and you still have problems, it would be useful for me to get clarification on which model number you have, as well as which flame you are having problems with, then we can proceed with more specific troubleshooting.

At this juncture,