RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2008 Ford F250: My tow vehicle..short bed..B&W gooseneck turnover ball…

Customer Question
I am purchasing a 2011...
I am purchasing a 2011 Sandpiper, 39' 5th wheel (model 355QBQ). My tow vehicle is a 2008 Ford F250, short bed truck. I have a B&W gooseneck turnover ball in the bed and had planned to just add the companion for a 5th wheel. However, the hitch people (not the RV dealer) said that idea would not work - the nose of the trailer would be in the back seat of the truck!
The RV dealer has told me that they will add an Andersen adaptor to the trailer hitch to convert it to a gooseneck. Is this solution acceptable to Forest River? If not, what is your suggestion?
Thanks for your help,
Carole
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
9/8/2010
RV Mechanic: Nick, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
hi
usually installing a gooseneck adapter will void the warranty. At least regarding any issues you may have with the hitch, frame, etc. if your pinbox fails for some reason, you will be responsible for any costs, even if gooseneck had nothing to do with it. we are actually not allowed to install them on new trailers. however, many people still opt to do it and take their chances, so it is your call.
personally though, i would advise against it. your trailer is designed as a 5th wheel and its frame, pinbox etc are set up for the forces experienced from being pulled as a 5th wheel. goosenecks change these forces and i would advise against it.
in a short bed truck, you will need a slider hitch. this is a 5th wheel hitch that is on sliders, so it slides backwards, when maneuvering etc, to clear the cab, then slides forwards for normal towing.
you will most likely loose your current gooseneck, depending on model and set up, however, you can get gooseneck hitch plates that will slot into your bed rails. so when not using the RV, you can take the 5th wheel hitch out and put in the gooseneck instead.

this would be your best option, in my opinion. only downside with it is you are stuck with bedrails in your bed. these can be a pain if you haul gravel, dirt etc, but other than that they don't get in the way.

there are a number of good hitches out there, most available in slider form. Reese, Curt, are a couple. Best to have a dealer install it, as does require drilling the frame and bed etc. usually about 4 hours labor plus the hitch.

Hope that helps.
:nick:
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification