RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2009 Fleetwood: motor home..chassis 12-volt..wiring diagram..amp fuse…

I have a 2009 Fleetwood...
I have a 2009 Fleetwood Pulse class C motorhome. My problem is the power entry step is not extending, or retracting off the chassis 12-volt electrical system but works properly when plugged into the 120 volt house shore power system. According to the Kwikee Electric step troubleshooting manual wiring diagram for steps with door switch only operation, there is a 20-25 amp fuse or circuit breaker required. I have not been able to locate this fuse to check if the fuse is good or bad. Do you know the location? If the fuse is good, what other problem may cause this malfunction?
9/3/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. With this working fine when your are plugged into shore power shows that there is nothing wrong with the step. The problem is in lack of available voltage when you aren't. The first thing to do is to have the batteries tested for reserve capacity and shorted cells with a Midtronics 500 tester or something comparable. This will tell you what the actual condition of the batteries is. Just taking a voltage reading won't tell you this. Also check the cables to be sure they are clean of any corrosion and tight. The ground lead on the frame is always a good place to check. A poor ground is less effective when voltage is lower. It would also be a good idea to take a Multimeter and see what the voltage output is at the converter to be sure it is charging the batteries like it should. If you still have problems after you check these things get back to me and we can go from there. R.J.
I also insalled two new batteries along with the new converter. Where is the fuse located on the chassis fuse block?
I will go ahead and opt out of this as I will be gone for the weekend. Another tech can give you some help with this. As I mentioned in my earlier post..........if it works on shore cord it isn't a fuse. This is a classic low voltage issue. Even new batteries can fail and do all the time. And many aren't fully charged when you buy them. Perhaps leaving this on shore cord for a few hours will resolve this. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Good morning. As I mentioned in my first request for information about my electric step, the wiring diagram clearly shows a 25 amp fuse between the 12 volt chassis battery and the electric entry step. My question again, where is thie fuse located?
I have been on vacation all week..............and to answer your question this depends on the manufacturer. Some put them right under the step by the motor and control. Some are in the Battery Control Center which has a number of fuses and relays in it. Go HERE to see one and what they look like. And just to make clear what I mentioned earlier............if this works when you are plugged into shore power as your original post said then it can not be a fuse. A bad fuse would keep this from working in any circumstance. This is a classic low power or bad relay situation or bad battery. This cannot be a bad fuse. Hope that clears that up............R.J.