RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Fleetwood: camper..an owners manual..goes down..50 degrees…

Customer Question
We have a Fleetwood Niagara...
We have a Fleetwood Niagara tent camper we bought on Craigs List, but it didn't come with an owner's manual. Most things we have figured out but not how to have hot water for our shower and little sink, and we can't see how to turn off the propane heater (the thermostat only goes down to 50 degrees, and doesn't have an on/off switch). I guess we could just shut off the valve on the propane bottles??
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
8/31/2010
RV Mechanic: Steve F., RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification

Do not turn off the propane bottle to turn your appliances. This will cause air to collect in the lines, which makes relighting a pain, and will confuse any appliances which are self-lighting, which may not apply in your case.

Your furnace should have an on-off switch behind the metal panel inside the trailer, and in fact you may have to light the pilot light manually. When not using the furnace, just turn it off at the furnace itself.

For the hot water, first make sure you actually have hot water in the tank. Open the outside access hatch and make sure the plug is in at the bottom. Also, briefly opened the valve at the top to make sure you have water come out.Then look at the back of the water heater (you may have to open a cupboard or two), and see if there are some winterizing valves back there. Do you have your water heater lit?