RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Domestic rv refridgerator model dm2652...refrigerator cooling...it…

Customer Question
We have a Domestic RV...
We have a Domestic RV Refridgerator Model DM2652. We seem to have a problem with the refrigerator cooling...it is cold but not as cold as when we used it the first time (for 2 months). We are not sure how to regulate the coldness. There is a plastic slide on the aluminum fins at the top back of the refrigerator section...there is also a sticker on the side that show "warmer to colder".   Attached to the plastic slide is a tube with something on the end...not sure what that is. Does this in some way control how cold the refridgerator can get? If so how? And how do you make sure it is working? It seems like kind of a primative way to regulate coldness. By the way the tube fell out of the plactic holder and we replaced it with the bulb end up. What is in the bulb?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
8/19/2010
RV Mechanic: Steve F., RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification

That plastic slide does indeed control the fridge temperature, and the blue bead inside it is the termistor that detects the temperature. Make sure the blue bead is in the center of the plastic slide, and move the slide all the way towards "colder". Wait several hours and see if the fridge get colder.

Is the temperature the same whether you are running off propane or electric? It is possible that there is something wrong with the fridge if it is not cooling as well as it was before. Definitely try moving the slider first, but if that doesn't work, let me know and I will try to assist you with identifying the problem.

What we see is not a blue bead, but a cylindrically shaped white plastic cover, but I assume the blue bead is under that. The way it is placed in the plastic slide allows for it to slip...is it okay to tape it in to keep it in the center of the plastic slide?

Yes, the blue bead is inside that :)

It may allow for it to slip, but as long as it doesn't actually move on it's own, it should be okay. If you do feel the need to tape it, make SURE that you don't put any tape between the cylinder and the cooling fin it is touching on the fridge. It is very important that the thermistor have direct contact with the aluminum cooling fin.