RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My 1987 dometic 2601 rv trailer gas electric fridge is leaking ammonia…

my 1987 dometic 2601 rv...
my 1987 dometic 2601 rv trailer gas electric fridge is leaking ammonia. I've defrosted fridge and removed food, but the ammonia smell keeps coming. The trailer is in a remote area and no help is available. I still have to sleep in this trailer. What can I do ?
8/10/2010
RV Mechanic: Steve F., RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification
The ammonia has leaked out of your cooling unit and has rendered it useless. The smell is very difficult to get rid of (it is coming from the cooling unit on the back), and the only way to do it is to remove the fridge from the trailer and move it FAR away Frown. What I would do is remove the fridge, then remove the cooling unit from the back of it and store it somewhere far away from your trailer. This way, you can decide whether to replace your entire fridge, or just the cooling unit. If you decide to replace the cooling unit alone, you may be able to send the old one back for refurbishing. Be sure to turn off your propane supply and cap off the 12V positive lead to the fridge before removing it. After removing the fridge, SECURELY cap the propane line and test it for leakage by spraying it liberally with soap solution and look for bubbles. If there are bubbles, tighten the cap, as there must be NO bubbles!

Edited by Steve F. on 8/10/2010 at 4:56 PM EST
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification