RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Cougar: We took it out for the first time in 2 years this week…

We have a 2004 Keystone...
We have a 2004 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. We took it out for the first time in 2 years this week. We set it up and everything was in good working order. We had to move to a different site, one row back and when we hooked up we noticed a water leak coming from under our stove. We had this problem 2 years ago on a long trip to Montana. One of the water lines worked loose. We pulled the stove/oven out and I replaced the water line with the hose clamp. No leaks, looked good. Turned the water on and then noticed that we had no hot water any more. I mean no water coming from the hot water taps. The hot water heater was turned off but no water. It builds up a little pressure in the hot lines but soon reduces to just a drip. I suspected some type of air in the lines. I released water through the water heater by way of the pressure relief valve but still no water inside. My manual does not address this problem. Is there an easy fix that I am missing? Or do I need to find someone who services RVs? Thank you.
7/29/2010
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

The very first thing to do is make sure the hot water heater is not being bypassed, there should be a valve on the opposite side of the outside cover. Sometimes you have to get to it from the inside by removing a false panel. IF the water heater was drained and bypassed while it sat the valve should have been bypassed.

The water heater does need an air pocket at the top of the tank to restore the pocket, turn off the water pump or city water supply and open a hot water tap to reduce the water pressure to zero. Remove or open the water heater drain plug or valve. Allow the water heater to drain and flush it by running water through it for several minuets. Insert the plug or close the drain valve and re-fill the water heater tank until the water appears at the opened hot water faucet.

Also there should be a small check valve plumbed on the back of the water heater, it will be plastic or brass with an arrow, if you pull that check valve you should only be able to blow air in one direction. I would start with checking the bypass valve and then try restoring the air pocket....

Hope this helps...

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic