Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

atwood hot water heater in my 2006 Weekend Warrior.

Customer Question

I have an Atwood hot water heater in my 2006 Weekend Warrior. The auto-light feature isn't working. I am not getting any spark. I can manually light it with a lighter and it will stay lit until it a full tank of water is heated.

I've cleaned all the connectors and bypassed the thermo cutoff fuse. When I unplug the connector from the circuit board, then plug it back in, I hear a single click.

Then I can hear the solenoid activate that let's the propane flow. I can also hear and smell the propane.

I then hear about 5 faint clicks in a row where it sounds like it's trying to light the gas.

The cycle then repeats itself 2 more times.

I also cleaned the ignition probes and checked for loose connections. I also replaced the 2 amp fuse on the board although it looked like it was in good shape.

The default answer online seems to point towards a bad circuit board. I've also read that the ignition probes could be bad.

Any thoughts?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. It does sound like the control board but you should also check the LP pressure if you haven't done that in the last year. This should be done at least once each year. Low LP pressure is responsible for many gas related issues. If the flame isn't where it should be you may not get ignition. The igniter itself is usually pretty durable unless you bang it and it gets a broken insulator. You can take the control board in and have it tested at any RV shop. Go HERE for a copy of the Atwood Service manual which you may find helpful. This gives the various things to check. I would print out a copy or at least Bookmark it for future reference. Please get back to me if you need more help with this. R.J.