RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Electrical issues..lo dc the 3 coach batteries are..volts..wont start…

Having electrical issues. Refrigerator...
Having electrical issues. Refrigerator is on LP (not on shore power) and the refrigerator says lo dc the 3 coach batteries are down near 10 volts. So I try to start the generator and it won't start. So I start the deisel and then I can start the generator and the coach batteries read 13.8 volts. and everything is OK as long as the deisel is running but when I shut it off and leave the generator running after 15 20 minutes the coach batteries are down to 10 volts again and I have to start the deisel. The inverter on the monitor panel (2005 Winnebago Journey) shows nothing I can't get it to go on or read anything. Could that be my problem? It isn't controling the charging of the batteries properly.
7/2/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Do you have the unit plugged into 110 volts now or are you dry camping with no electric power source?
As I said I am not on shore power. The unit is parked in front of my house and I have no way to plug it in. Getting ready to travel tomorrow and trying to get the refrigerator and freezer usable to fill and leave in the morning
The house batteries need to be charged,the fridge will quit working at 10.5 volts,you either need to leave the generator running to get the batteries charged up or plug the coach in so the inverter will charge your batteries,I would plug it in over night so you have a full set of charged batteries for the trip,you can also put a battery charger on the if needed.Without 12 volts in the coach nothing is going to work properly.
As I stated the generator is not charging the bateries and I have no way to plug in. I know the fridge won't work without 12 VDC thats why I am here asking questions. Can you give me some idea of what is wrong ?
Can you tell me if the battery disconnect is working,Is it turning the power on and off inside the coach when you turn it on and off?
I assume you have a inverter charger in this unit,check the breakers on the inverter,what is the inverter panel reading with the generator running?
Yes the battery disconnect switch on the dash works and obviously I must leave it on to keep the refridgerator running. As I mentioned earlier I do have an inverter and it does nor read anything (blank as if not on or there) and I cant'turn it on. There is a 30 amp output breaker on the inverter itself and it is OK. The inverter panel doesn't read anything with or without the generator running.
There is a fuse next to the inverter,remove the cover and check for 12 volts on both sides of the fuse,next you need to see if you have 110 volts into the inverter,remove the cover and check on the input wires with a volt meter and see if there is 110 volts supplying the inverter,it will not charge the system unless there is 110 into the inverter as well as 12 volts hooked to it.Let me know we will go from here.
How does the inverter get 110 VAC if I am not pluged into shore power? Must the generator be running for me to check these things? Also the inverter is accessed thru a door on the street side of the motorhome and it is now 10 PM here and I am concerned that someone in a passing car will hit me (although at this point that would at least releive my frustration and force me to focus on something else) I am 68 years old and kneeling down in the street in the dark seems like a bad thing for me to do. Can you tell me what would forllow if I don't have 12VDC on both sides of the fuse and what I must do if there is no 110VAC at the input of the inverter? I will try to do these things in the AM in the daylight. I know I can't get anybody local to look at it tomorrow without an appointment weeks in advance and we are meeting family at a campground tomorrow about 3 hours away. I should be ok if I am on shore power while camping right?
Tell you what,if needed if you have a battery charger,you can hook it up to the batteries when you are plugged into shore power and everything in the coach will work properly until you can get it looked at.Without checking things with a meter and finding out what is actually going on.The battery charger will do the same job as the inverter.
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Thanks for your help Gene Have a nice holiday weekend
You too,let me know if you need anything else.