RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The battery continues to be drained when not connected

Customer Question
Do you need to have...
Do you need to have constant power to run the fridge in Gas mode. The battery continues to be drained when not connected to a power source and the fridge will not run in Gas mode. It will run off of a generator, is there a setting or switch for use in Gas mode that needs to be set in order to not drain the battery?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
7/1/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this. Most of them do........it depends on the make and model. If you can get back to me with that I can tell you for sure. If this is a newer fridge then it almost certainly has a 12 VDC power board which controls the operation on both AC and LP mode. When dry camping you should have at least one fair sized solar panel to keep the battery up and take advantage of the "free" power they offer..........at least until the government starts taxing sunlight! If you need a manual for your fridge I can probably get you one. Look on the lower side of the control panel if this is a Dometic unit and see if you have a dehumidifier switch that is on. This stays on and will drain the battery even if the fridge is off. Norcold has no switch on theirs. Get back to me with this and I can fix you up. R.J.