Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Expedition: slide motor on the drivers side does not seem to be big

Customer Question

Dear Sirs.
I have a 03 38N Expedition, the slide motor on the drivers side does not seem to be big enough or powerful enough to bring the slide in properly, it always seems to strain,
it really has a problem on a cold morning. Has Fleetwood come out with a different motor
for that slide?
Thank You,
Bob Walker
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Bob..........thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Slides consume a lot of power. You need to be sure you have the batteries in top shape and have a power source on when you try moving the slides........either shore cord or genset. This helps add "oomph" to the batteries. If yo have a slide topper this makes the problem worse. You have to keep that cloth treated to keep it supple and the bearings on it lubed well with silicon spray. I have seen slide toppers that keep the room from moving at all! Be sure you are using a good wiper seal lubricant. Too many people ignore this area and leave the seals dry and coated with road grime and this makes moving the room that much harder. Thetford makes a good one but there are others. Spray this on ALL the wipers and seals around the whole room every time you go to move it. Keeps the seals supple and lubricates the room sides as well. If your slide room manufacturer recommends a lube for the rails do that as well. At least some silicon spray helps. Dry is not good. Thetford makes a product for that as well. All these things will help your room to move the way it was intended. Hope that helps............R.J.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I really don't think this is the problem, I believe it is the motor. But I will take your advice and try it.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 years ago.
I know it would seem that way at first glance..........but remember when they build these products they test them first. If they were having any problems with the motor they would have modified the design. If you get the name of the company who made your slide hardware I can get you a copy of the manual which covers this. There are a few that use a limiter type control that is adjustable on some aspects. Many Fleetwood coaches use a Power Gear product. In the event that you do have that one you can go HERE for a complete Service Manual which covers all their electric slide rooms. If this isn't the correct one let me know. You can Bookmark this page and always come back to it. Even after you accept an answer we can continue to work on the correct solution if needed. R.J.