RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

An Atwood G6A - 8E water heater in my Southwind motor home..spark…

I have an Atwood G6A-8E...
I have an Atwood G6A-8E water heater in my Southwind motorhome. The hot water heater will not stay lit. It lights and the igniter continues to spark for about 5 seconds and then shuts down. The flame pattern seems normal and I have cleaned all tubes and connections. Any ideas? John
6/27/2010
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi, John..........Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. The most common cause of this problem is either the flame sense on the control board is bad OR the igniter assy isn't fully engulfed in he flame and isn't able to complete the circuit back to the board. The flame carries a current. Check to see if the flame encloses the end of the probes fully. You can carefully bend it if it doesn't. If that seem fine have the board tested at a shop. It could be a bad t-stat or ECO but those usually aren't intermittent. Go HERE for a copy of the Service Manual for this unit which has the trouble shooting steps in it. I would print out a copy for your use in the future or at least Bookmark it. Don't forget to have the LP pressure checked at the regulator at least once a year. Low LP pressure can cause this as well as the flame isn't strong enough and won't engulf the igniter. Please get back to me if you need more help with this. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can give you a quick answer that can save you a bunch of money and save you having to make and appointment to get into a dealer. R.J