RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

An Atwood G6A-6E hot water heater..electronic ignition..relief valve…

Customer Question
I have an Atwood G6A-6E...
I have an Atwood G6A-6E hot water heater, with electronic ignition. It ignites fine but the burner never shuts off causing the t&p relief valve to discharge. I suspected the t-stat and replaced it along with the eco stat. Same result. A friend of mine had a spare ignition control box that he gave me. I hooked it up just for the heck of it. Water still too hot. What next?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
6/27/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
What is the actual temperature out of the water heater?
If you changed the eco and t-stat,I would suspect a bad t&p valve,had one last week doing the same thing,replaced the t&p valve this took care of it.
Here is a manual on the Atwood heater,print it out for your records for the future.
When I checked it at the kitchen faucet, it was around 190 and climbing. I think the t-stat is set at 150. It takes a while for the temp to climb, but the burner never shuts off.
The t-stat is what tells the board to shut off the burner,was the tank clean where the t-stat is mounted?Check the wiring on the t-stat and eco,brown wires on the t-stat and red on the eco switch on the left.Let me know.

Yes, i cleaned it with some sand paper ans wiped it down. Wiring is correct.I also used the new adhesive backed insulation pad that was supplied with the t-stat to ensure it was against the tank.

Defective t-stat?

The only thing that comes to mind now is to see if there is 12 volts to the gas valve when the water reaches temp,you may have a gas valve that is sticking on even after the 12 volts is removed from it.If it is sticking it will just keep burning.