RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Check light..prob..same thing..it is going to decide to stop working…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 1995...
Hi, I have a 1995 mallard travel trailer and have problems with the fridge.
When we use LP the check light would keep coming on and the unit would shut off after working fine for as much as 3-4 hrs so we thaught there was a prob with the LP but when we used just the electric it did the same thing. We can't rely on the unit because we never know when it is going to decide to stop working.
We were thinking about removing it and just buying a small house unit to use at camp grounds where we would just be using electric but we are not sure how to get it out.
Is it poss that it shuts itself down to avoid freezing up because when it does decide to work it works very well.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/26/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
The first thing to check is the connections at the back of the fridge,be sure all are tight and clean,bad grounds will cause alot of problems.Next thing is to check the battery voltage to the fridge,it will stop working at about 10.5 volts,you need a constant 12 volts for it to work properly,also check the connections at the battery,be sure they are clean and the battery is full of water,you can have the battery checked to see if it is bad at any auto parts store,replace if needed.From what you have said,it is possible you have the correct voltage to start with and after camping the battery voltage is dropping below operating voltage for the fridge to work?Check these things and get back to me if needed,also if you give me the make and model I can pull a service manual for you as well.

I wrote back but have not recived your response as of right now so I was wondering if you received it again.

The fridge is a Dometic RM 2612

I'm not sure if I understand your response, you said it needs 12 volts at all times does this also mean if it is plugged in to electric and while it is using LP that it needs to use the battery?

And also you said to see if the battery is OK but if it has enough volts in the beginning if I have the battery tested won"t it show that its alright until I use it?

Yes it needs 12 volts all the time to operate the controls,we need to know what the voltage is at the back where the 12 volt wires hook to the fridge when it starts acting up,if you have it a your house,turn it on and watch it,get some voltage readings and see what we have,when the unit is plugged into 110 volts on shore power,you should be getting a reading of 12-13.5 volts,if not we may have a charging problem from the converter.
Do these checks and let me know.