RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1999 Eurovan: norcold..camper..that has a bad cooling unit…

Customer Question
I have a norcold Model...
I have a norcold Model #3163 HBV, serial number 576610EK in my 1999 Eurovan camper that has a bad cooling unit. I would like to replace this refrigerator but have not been able to find a replacement. Is there a new model that replaced the 3163 HBV? I understand that it is critical to ensure the exhaust/venting is compatible.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/25/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Did they ask you about rebuilding the cooling unit on yours? That may be an option and cheaper. Let me check and see what comes closest to interchanging with this. R.J.
I did ask about rebuilding the cooling unit and they indicated that the cooling unit is about 3/4 of the cost of the fridge and with the labor it would likely be more cost effective to replace it. I have not priced out cooling units or taken it to a refrigeration repair shop
Let me see what I an come up with........
The 3163 is still available............and the versions are LG, LGV16 and LGH2GR and these are a special order item. I do not have the difference in the specs as there is no information online for this. Get the person who orders this for you to do some homework and earn his money. This information came from one of the Norcold distributors I have worked with for many years. Even he didn't know the differences. You may have to use some of the trim and venting off yours but they are basically the same unit and the same size. Hope that helps.........price should be about $1,000 or so. Check around as that will vary depending on where you buy it. R.J.
Before I would spend a bunch of money on a new one I would be sure your cooling element is bad. Take an old lamp cord or computer cord and hook up the 120 VAC heating element to it directly so you by pass all the controls on your unit. There is no polarity to worry about, but be sure you do the 120 VAC element and not a 12 VDC element if this is a 3-way unit. Be sure that it is level and leave in on for about 4 or 5 hours. See if it gets cold. If so, then the problem is in the controls and not the cooling unit. R.J.
Were you able to resolve this? Please let me know if you need more help with it. R.J.