RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1997 Executive: motor home..a power box inside the closet area, but we…

We have purchased a 1997...
We have purchased a 1997 Executive motorhome. We are having trouble connecting the power to the refrigerator and air conditioner. There is a power box inside the closet area, but we cannot tell what needs to be connected to the outlet. Can you give us some help? We have not been able to locate anyone who has an owner's manual available.

Thank you.
Jean Reynolds [email protected]
6/25/2010
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi, Jean.........thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. When you say "power box" are you referring to where all the service breakers are? This should be where the breaker for the A/C is and the fridge circuit. Flip all the breakers off and then back on. These appliances work off a control board that is 12 VDC so you have to be sure that you have checked the fuses in the fuse panel also. A 12 VDC test light and a Multimeter are your best friend here! There is a manual exchange for these older coaches that I usually recommend. Go HERE for that. Get back to me and let me know what you find. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Randall:

I think the power box inside the closet area is where the circuit breakers are. There are a lot of loose wires there and it is difficult to know what controls are matched to which appliance. We will follow your suggestions concerning the fuses. My son is out of town for the weekend and he will be the one to make the adjustments. I will print your response and see if he can solve the problems. He has an engineering degree and should be able to get to the source with your help.

Thank you.

Jean

Did someone take some of the wiring loose from the breakers? It sounds like he knows about wiring.........the 12 gage wires go to 20 amp breakers and one of those should be the A/C circuit. 14 gage wires go to 15 amp breakers. One of those should be the fridge. A Multimeter is very helpful here so you can be sure the breakers are working and test out the circuits. Bookmark this page so you can come back to it.........even after you accept a question we can still work on it..........so long as it is the same problem. I am not on here on Saturday during the day.........my wife gets me for that part of the week. R.J.

Thanks Randall.

My husband and I plan to live in the motorhome while our house is being built on the property. It will be an adventure, but we have to have fridge and air in Huntsville, AL. Our current temperature is 95%. Thanks again for your help.

Jean

I live in Orlando so I know about the heat and humidity...........Smile
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can give you a quick answer that can save you a bunch of money and save you having to make and appointment to get into a dealer. R.J