RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Coach..The sliding window in the rear bedroom area was broken…

Customer Question
I have a Coach that...
I have a Coach that was broken in to last year. The sliding window in the rear bedroom area was broken. I ordered a replacement slider and would like to get assistance on how to replace the broken window. Could someone kindly assist me in giving me instruction on how to do the task. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/25/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Did you get a whole new window assy or just a new slider portion? Please clarify this for me and I will try to give you a hand with this. R.J.

R.J.,

I was told that I don't have to order a new Window assy. Fleetwood sold me just the slider.

Odd that they didn't tell you how to install it..........most of these you have to lift up on the window to get the bottom to come out first then let it down and then you can drop out the top. This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. They don't always buy these from the same company. Try that and let me know if you need more help with this. R.J.
I did tried to remove the felt and u shaped rubber where the slider window slides. I prepositined the replacement glass , lifted it on the upper channel but I don't seem to have enough room/space to push the rest of the glass slider over the botXXXXX XXXXXnel. That is what my problem is. If I can only push the glass over the channels, I can reinstall the window inner ring and the felt insulations for the glass. I was about to get a sander to trim the glass so it would fit over the channels and go from there.
Does the slider window have a frame or not...........sounds like it doesn't. Some do and some don't. Depends on whether or not they are dual pane. If this is a single pane and doesn't have a frame around it that is what I would do also. What happens is they make the cutout in the wall over sized so that there is no problem getting the frame to fit in the hole. Some are almost an extra 1/2" around. The frames have play in them and if they aren't paying close attention to the spacing the exterior frame gets pushed together and then you have a problem like you describe. You could loosen the frame and reposition it, but that would be a lot of work and headache. Your idea is a good one. Just do a little at a time and recheck. Use a fairly fine grit belt. Rebevel the edges if you need to as this keeps the sharp edges to a minimum. Get back to me if you need more help with this. R.J.
The glass is a double pane window but, frameless. i will not be able to get to back on the job until perhaps in the middle of JULY. I would not be available to do it till them. I'll let you know what the outcome is once I am done with the job.
O.K...........you can always come back to this later if you Bookmark it. R.J.
Randall, so far evrything I tried didn't work. I was told by Fleetwood that I have to take the whole window assembly and break the frame joint rivets, insert the glass and re-revit the frame. I haven't done it yet but that's the only option I have right now. I didn't trim the glass because I was told that if I do that, the window slider felt may not fill the extra gap.(grinding the glass). I'm waiting for the weather to get a bit better to do the job. I thought of doing just that to start with but, I hesitated because it takes a bit of work and with the size of the window, it'll be a bit heavy for me alone to do so. But now, I just have to manhandle the window and get the job done. Thanks for the advise and hope we both learn from these and get better result for someone that has the same problem,
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 years ago
I would still measure the height of the frame on both ends compared to the middle and see if the frame has just "sagged down" in the middle from sloppy installation. This is a job that is best down with a helper. If you do have to take the rivets out you can Pop-Rivet it back together. That actually wouldn't take that long. Let me know how it turns out. R.J.