RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

jayco 5th wheel 2010...electric..we went too low to the stop mark…

I have a Jayco 5th...
I have a Jayco 5th wheel 2010. The electric jacks in the front stopped working. When we were unhitching last night, the jacks were working until we went too low to the stop mark, and then it turned off. We're not near a dealer and can't hitch up. We checked the fusses and they're all OK. Help.
6/24/2010
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Check to see if a resettable breaker tripped. Go HERE to see what they look like. It would be like the gray one and has a button on the side you have to push in to reset. There are some within 18" of the batteries. The may be a conventional blade fuse or glass fuse on the lead to the motor. Get back to me if you don't get this resolved. R.J.
Can't find breaker. Found an inline breaker but no buttons on it. Checked fuse at the battery and it OK. Now what?
Do you have a 12 VDC test light or a VOM meter to do some tests?
no
You pretty much need that in order to see where the problem is. It may be the switch. You can hook up a jumper wire and go directly from the battery positive to the positive on the motor and see if it will move. You have to reverse the leads to have it go backward. The switch does this for you. Other than that, you need to go to the store and get a 12 VDC test light for about $5 to check this. That is how we do it. R.J.
You've tried. We don't have a junper cable or the 12 VDC test light. We will try to get someone to come out here. Thanks for trying!!
See if they have a mobile tech that can come...........and invest in a VOM meter and a test light. Most RV electrical problems can be resolved in a few minutes with those. Saves you time and lots of money! R.J.
Just wanted you to know that we found a mobile tech who fixed the problem. You were right on but we couldn't have fixed it ourselves. There was no breaker but an inline fuse. The tech had a very hard time getting the top off to check the fuse. Turned out the wrong fuse was in there. None of the fuses we had would have worked. The tech had one. Now we're a go again. The mobile tech was great. He got here in an hour and only charges $40. Your service was greatly appreciated.
Thanks for letting me know..........and at least you found out the kinds of things we can help you with here. Most of the time we can save you time and money. I would invest in a 12 VDC test light and a digital VOM meter so you can track these things down. That was a very reasonable charge for that. All the best, R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can give you a quick answer that can save you a bunch of money and save you having to make and appointment to get into a dealer. R.J