RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC
Experience:  35 plus years HANDS ON WORK TROUBLE SHOOTING & REPAIRS
8361237

Quit working..solenoid..i manually ground the negitive terminal..relay

Customer Question

05 ambassador 38'
The battery shutoff switch by the entry door quit working replaced the battery shutoff solenoid and switch for the coach and now the lights only come on if you hold the rocker switch. If i manually ground the negitive terminal on the solenoid the lights stay on. Is there a relay or somthing inline between the two or possibly the wrong solenoid.
Category: RV
Expert:  RIP ROBERT replied 8 years ago.
HI;

DO YOU STILL HAVE THE OLD SWITCH A SOLENOID THAT YOU CAN TAKE A PICTURE OF THEM AND THE NEW ONES SO YOU CAN SEND THEM TO ME? YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. THANK YOU FOR USING JUST ANSWER.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

yes i have them both how do i the pics to you.

mike

HI MIKE;

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ATTACH IT TO YOUR RESPONSE TO ME. ON THE TOOL BAT THERE IS A WHAT LOOKS LIKE A LITTLE TV, CLICK ON THAT AND YOU CAN ATTACH THE PICTURE THAT WAY.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

the parts are at work, will send them thursday afternoon.

Thanks

HI MIKE;

OK I WILL BE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the first pic thru 5th is the new solenoid mounted to the board, pic 6 is cut off switch plug, pic 7 is the new switch, pic 8 and 9 are the old solenoid and switch. pics 10 and 11 are bad pics of the male end of both switches , both 5 blade conectors
HI;

THE SOLENOID WITH THE YELLOW STICKER IS THE ORIGINAL THAT YOU REPLACED WITH THE WHITE TAG, CORRECT? I AM PRETTY SURE THAT THOSE SOLENOIDS ENGAGE DIFFERENTLY. THE KNEW ONE I HAVE TO DOUBLE CHECK ITS OPERATION. THE NEW ONE THAT YOU HAVE MOUNTED LOOKS LIKE THE ONE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE TO START WITH. I WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
HI;

HAVE YOU TESTED THE ORIGINAL SOLENOID SINCE YOU REMOVED IT, BY HOOKING A GROUND TO THE GROUND TERMINAL AND TAP A HOT LEAD TO THE POSITIVE TERMINAL TO SEE IF THE SOLENOID ENGAGES THE TWO OUTER POLES AND DISENGAGES WHEN RELEASED. PLEASE TEST. YOU NEED TO HOOK A CONTINUITY TESTER THE OUTER POLES. CAUSE LIKE I SAD THOSE SOLENOIDS FUNCTION TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER AND ARE NOT ENTER CHANGEABLE. IF YOUR ORIGINAL SOLENOID IS BAD YOUR GOING TO NEED TO BUY THE SAME SOLENOID TO REPLACE IT.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes i did test it and it is bad, I think I know the answer to the problem, The rv dealer sold me a solenoid that is not a latched solenoid and there for when you release the switch the power goes out and if you hold the switch closed the power stays on
HI;

THE SOLENOID THE YOU BOUGHT IS THE TOP OF THE LINE, BUT NOT FOR YOUR APPLICATION. SO YOU NEED TO GET THE SAME AS WAS ON THE COACH.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT