RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2006 Fleetwood: There is a grounded connection for 125..110v..ac…

trying to learn how to...
trying to learn how to connect 120V at my house power to the 2006 Fleetwood Southwind so it will charge overnight. (I just bought it so am a total newbie) There is a grounded connection for 125/250v 50amp cable and there is a connection for 110v, but not for 120V.

If the 125/250v 50amp thing is what I should be plugging into, is says I should first switch off the 50amp main breakers located in the 120volt AC load center. I cannot find that either. Once found, do I turn these breakers back on after putting in the plug, or leave them off all the while on power from my home.

Can you help?
6/23/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. First of all 110 VAC is the same as 120 VAC. Both are the exact same thing. Just like 220 VAc is the same as 240 VAC. The main thing is to be sure you have the correct plug and wiring to plug your cord into. You should have a 50 amp 220 VAC plug with a 4 lug RV box. RVs don't have the same lug for ground and neutral like a house does........hence the reason for the 4 lugs instead of three. You can use adapters for a time if you want. The make a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter which will plug into a 30 amp RV plug and you can adapt that down to a 15 or 20 amp duplex plug like in your house. The problem is what you can run with the reduced supply. 15 amps is only 1800 watts and so you can't run an A/C on that. It would be a stretch to even have the refer on and the hot water heater on AC mode. That would likely exceed 1800 watts. If you have a plug at your house wired for 220 VAC and only three lugs you can have it wired up with a 4 lug receptacle so you can plug right in. The load center should be at floor level in a brown enclosure. All the breakers and fuses will be in there.
It will probably be made by WFCO but there are several companies that make them. Get into your manuals and become familiar with the systems on this coach. Some power centers on Fleetwood products are on the bed pedestal and a few are in an overhead compartment. Get back to me if any of this isn't clear. Whoever sold this to you should have spent some time going over these things with you. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can give you a quick answer that can save you a bunch of money and save you having to make and appointment to get into a dealer. R.J