RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

MOTOR HOME..HORN..(5) FOG LIGHTS ARE ON (6) ALL SWITCHES..DISCONNECT…

Customer Question
1985 BLUEBIRD WANDERLODGE, 36 FT...
1985 BLUEBIRD WANDERLODGE, 36 FT MOTOR HOME OWNER WAS WORKING ON CAMERA POWER LINES AND THE FOLLOWING OCCURRED: (1) REAR LANDING LIGHTS ARE ON (2) BACK-UP LIGHTS ARE ON (3) BACK-UP HORN IS ON (4) FRONT LANDING LIGHTS ARE ON (5) FOG LIGHTS ARE ON (6) ALL SWITCHES ARE OFF POSITION. ONLY WAY TO TURN OFF ALL OF THE ABOVE IS KILL POWER SWITCH OR DISCONNECT BATTERIES.

POWER LINES OWNER WAS WORKING ON ARE IN THE REAR UPPER CABINETS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE COACH. WHEN ALL OF THE ABOVE OCCURRED HE DID NOT KNOW IT HAD HAPPENED UNTIL HE HEARD THE BACK-UP HORN ALARM.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/22/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. What exactly was he doing with the backup camera lines? Was he cutting into some other lines? That sure sounds like what happened here.
Please let me know more detail and I can help you. R.J.
THOSE LINES IN THAT CABINET HAD BEEN CHEWED IN TO PIECES BY MICE AND HE WAS SPLICING THOSE LINES. BEFORE HE STARTED ON THOSE SMALL WIRES, ALL OF THE LIGHTS WERE WORKING FINE. HE HAS SINCE DICSONNECTED THOSE SMALL LINES TO CAMERA AND PROBLEMS REMAINS.
He must have hooked a live feed which has power all the time into the light circuit and perhaps another as well. Either that or he moved some wires which are also chewed up and out of site and that caused the problem. If he isn't really up on electrical circuits then he may have to enlist the help of someone who is. This is going to be one of those trial and error things to resolve. Finding a wiring diagram of this would help. I don't suppose he has one? R.J.
OWNER IS EXPERIENCED MECHANIC AND KNOWS A GREAT DEAL ABOUT DIESEL ENGINES, GENERATORS AND POWER SYSTEMS. HE IS NOT FAMILIAR WITH BLUEBIRD WIRING SYSTEMS. NO POWER DIAGRAHMS ARE AVAILABLE AND BLUEBIRD FACTORY IS SHUT DOWN. I AM PREVIOUS OWNER AND BOUGHT THE COACH IN 1997 AND HAD THE COACH BACK TO THE FACTORY SEVERAL TIMES FOR SERVICE BUT NOTHING LIKE THIS EVER OCCURED BEFORE. COULD AND OLD POWER LINE BECOME CHAFED AND CAUSE THIS PROBLEM? COACH HAS BEEN SITTING IN SAME SPOT FOR PAST WEEK AND WAS NOT BEING DRIVEN. HE WAS ATTEMPTING TO GET ALL SYSTEMS WORKING FOR A TRIP OUT WEST AND WAS WORKING ON GETTING CAMERA TO OPERATE. THIS SITUATION OCCURED YESTERDAY ABOUT 6pm.
It could be..........more likely the cause is some mice damage someplace. Go HERE for a site that may offer some help with manuals. I will check and see what else may be out there. R.J.
Any luck on that site? Perhaps this one HERE may have some information as they bought all the prints and schematics just last year. Let me know how that goes. R.J.