RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Marine: I saw you on this board and was wondering if you…

Customer Question
I saw you on this...
I saw you on this board and was wondering if you have experience with Marine Onan Gens. Specifically Onan MCE 4.5. The generator runs but there is no AC output. I have removed the AC side service cover and dont see anything when using my Fluke Meter. One big problem for me is that I do not know what leads to look across for the 120VAC. I dont see it looking across various combinations at any rate. not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/22/2010
RV Mechanic: OnanMan, Generator Tech replied 8 years ago
OnanMan
OnanMan, Generator Tech
Hi I am Don. I have little experience on this model but looking at the wiring diagram, it doesn't look any different from anything else. The things to check first is the brushes and the field rectifier. The brushes are a wear item so start there. They are located on the opposite end of the engine, so the end of the generator. This is a small block assembly and is how DC is applied to the field and it has 2 wires going to it. This is polarity sensitive so leave the wires on or mark where they go when you remove this block. The brushes should be about 1" long and should move freely in and out of the block. Then look where they ride on the rotating part of the generator. They should be 2 rings, they may need cleaned. If you do this and it doesn't help come back here...