RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1999 fleetwood: fills the cabin..parked..low pressure..fan vent cover.

Customer Question
Our 1999 fleetwood discovery fills...
Our 1999 fleetwood discovery fills the cabin with nasty toilet fumes if you try to flush while driving. (no problem while parked) The only fix for this is if we reverse the fan to blow air in and put it on hi while the flush is open, flush quickly and then quickly reverse the fan to suck fumes out. I'm guessing it's because of low pressure in the bathroom because of the teardrop shape of the fan vent cover.

I can make this work every time, but when guests try it usually fails and some say they will never travel in it again because they are so appalled by the smell.

Is there any way to stink-proof my RV?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/18/2010
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi Again....

Hope all is well...

There is one product you can try that works really well on the smells, thetford makes a product called Eco Smart and it is liquid tank deodorant. I would give that a try and see if it improves. Also you can try to add a directional vent on the roof if you do not have one already. The tank should be vented to the roof, make sure it is not plugged up under the vent cap, the vent allows the tank to breath. I would first try the eco smart and then consider a directional vent to see if that helps any...

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

I'm really looking for a mechanical fix. Do they make a toilet that will not let fumes up no matter what?

OK

One thing you should also look at is the vent caps under the sink, they will have a screw on cap on the vertical pipe below the sink. They will have a rubber seal and sometimes they can get weak and this will allow air from the tanks to be pulled back into the motor home, you can pull the seal, clean it and coat it with some vasoline.

I am just giving you some ideas to try, I am not aware of any toilets that will completely take care of your issue. Another expert also contacted me and recommends using a product called happy camper, that is a tank cleaner....

Robert