RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Hydro..Works fine on AC but when I switch to battery only the blower…

Customer Question
I have a hydro flame...
I have a hydro flame 8000II series furnace in my Coleman Taos. Works fine on AC but when I switch to battery only the blower runs....furnace does not fire nor attempt to fire. Help!!! Leaving for cross country trip saturday. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/18/2010
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer....

Sounds like you could have a weak battery and here is why... When you are plugged into AC voltage the converter is making the voltage. (takes the AC and makes DC) When you unplug you are only running off the battery power. There is a sail switch and as the blower motor on the furnace comes up to speed the sail switch determines if there is adequate air flow for proper combustion to take place. If the battery voltage is low or the fan does not come up to 75% of it's design speed, the sail switch will not close.

So I would have that battery load tested, most auto parts stores will do that free of charge. Check the connections make sure they are tight and clean for the battery.

Its a brand new deep cycle battery. Is it possible it's defective? You are correct about the output. It's definetly not spinning as fast on battery. I also tried my tractor battery to see if it would make a difference. Could anything be wrong with the inverter?

Yes and Yes....

First I would have that battery load tested, I have seen brand new ones with bad cells....Make sure all the battery connections are clean and tight also...

When you plug into AC voltage the battery voltage should rise to around 14 volts and then taper down to around 12.8-13 volts and maintain, the power converter will do this and the other function is to make the DC voltage...IF it is not charging follow the main battery cable and look for an auto breaker near the battery. Next find the converter and make sure no fuses are blown, always a good idea to have the battery checked first... Hope this helps...