RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1999 chevy: generator..new battery, but I get no ac current..only runs…

Customer Question
I just had the generator...
I just had the generator on my 1999 Chevy roadtrek 200 cleaned up so that it run. put in new battery, but I get no AC current so that no air, microwave or fridge and the TV only runs on DC current. Hadn't been run for 3 yrs. only 8500 miles on rv
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/18/2010
RV Mechanic: OnanMan, Generator Tech replied 8 years ago
OnanMan
OnanMan, Generator Tech
Hi I am Don, can I get the model number off the data tag on the gen?

Model number of gen 2.8KVFA26100F

Ok, sorry I should have asked this also, how many hours are on the gen and does the gen continue to run when you let go of the start switch?
There are 44 hrs on the gen and it does not run when after turning off with switch
Ok that is a problem, low hours. This unit needs to be removed from the coach and torn down to check the brushes. That is if you want to do this yourself. There is a check to be made if you have an ohm meter but I think I suspect that the brushes are frozen. Do you have a meter?
no ohm meter what is the check?

We can ohm the brushes and see if you need to remove from the coach and tear it down. We can do it at a plug that is accessible without removing the gen first

It is my understanding that the appliances should run off the battery that should produce 120 ac through an inverter. The battery is new today
Well honestly I am more of a generator technician, but I do know that an inverter takes 12V battery and makes 120V for somethings, just not sure. I also know that it will take 120V and charge batteries and work 12V lights etc. I can't imagine the inverter working an appliance very long though by taking 12V to make 120V without draining the battery really quick. But sir, that would be another question.

I know you are a gen man and your theory is good, but it still doesn't get me 120 to my appliances, that is my question. You don't run down the road with the gen on you use the battery, but not in my rv.

The gen is made to be run down the road! It is called a mobile generator

should I be talking to a Roadtrek expert. This was not my understanding but
If you feel I did not help you, I can opt out and another tech will then be free to assist

I didn't get the help I neededand I am out of time. tomorrow is another day

thanks Ray