RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

same problem - no one seems to know how to fix anything

Customer Question
Thank you so much for...
Thank you so much for your follow up. Rare these days. We continue to have the same problem - no one seems to know how to fix anything. The batteries won't hold a charge (4 months old). It is a mystery to all. What are possible causes that keep running the batteries down? We have no electricity at all in coach.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/15/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question..........my name is XXXXX XXXXX was this to be addressed to a particular tech? Let me know.....R.J.
You helped us before and we are very pleased to have you again.
Was this the same issue? How long ago was your question?
Yes
Yes, same issue. One said it was converter box, one said no it is surge supressor, last one said it is neither. Waiting for them to tell us just what it is.
So you will have to refresh my memory on this as I get so many of these battery questions. You charge the batteries up and then they won't hold a charge very long? How long do they go and what is on if anything? Do you have a VOM meter so you can take some voltage readings? This would help track it down. They are available at most automotive stores, hardware stores or Radio Shack for about $15 and are easy to use. I would try to get one with a digital readout as I think they are easier for most people to read.
I know they said the batteries were good, but what did they test them with? One of the best testers is a Midtronics 500 which tests them for shorted cells and reserve capacity. I can tell you that about half the questions I see on battery issues that this is the problem. One of them has a shorted cell, even if almost new and drags the current right down. Be sure the tops are clean and don't have any acid buildup as that discharges them as well. Get back to me with this information and we can go from there. R.J.
I can't answer your questions yet, but will attempt to get info. It was helpful in the meantime to know what you said about the betteries. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to you.
I will watch for your post............just Bookmark this and you can come back to it. R.J.
There is no ACCEPT tab on my scree, but I certainly will hit it when it appears. Thanks
Lets wait until we get this resolved..........R.J.