RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Marine: gen..it wont run unless you hold the start switch in start pos…

Customer Question
i got a mdja 3.0...
i got a mdja 3.0 marine gen to fix for one of my boaters there is no #'s on gen the books I got from him say it os a 3.0 mdja-1r. anyway it wont run unless you hold the start switch in start pos. or jumo term. # XXXXX to batt. pos. then has 60 vac output only when in start position. will run with term. # XXXXX jumped to batt. but only 3 vac on output wires and 1.3 vac at f2 on term. strip. any ideas???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/10/2010
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 8 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Hi, this is Michael, first you need to expose the brush's at the end of the armature, and see if there is 12v there when you crank, this voltage will be supplied by the battery when you crank, once the armature is excited, it will create 110v and 12 thru the voltage regulator to keep the unit running.....SSSooooooooo ck the brush's in, and the voltage out to the reg, then the voltage out of the reg.................Its going to be either the brush's or the reg...............Michael
there are 8 brushes 4 large on the end of rotor and 4 smaller on slip rings that are wired to the larger ones do all show 12 volt
Thanks for responding, so now with the unit turning, ck th voltage at the voltage regulator.............Michael
im blind stupid or both most of the time. no voltage reg. in parts book or on gen ??? tested voltage at brushes anyway what i got was between m1(slipring brush) and m2 (rotor brush) (gen running thru entire test) 3 vac without switch in start pos. and 50 vac w/ switch in start pos. from m1 to case ground w/o switch in start pos. 3.3 vac w/ 50 vac and m2 and case ground w/o start pos. .003 vac and w/ .027 vac hope info helps thanks
i hope you don't think i meet you are wrong on the voltage reg. i just meant i don't see one any where, this unit is older than i am. i still need help with this problem.