RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Heat coming..ly one minute and the unit stops blowing cold but the fan…

Customer Question
2001 coleman mach 6535 series...
2001 coleman mach 6535 series heat pump/ a/c. When I turn on the a/c, the unit starts and I can feel the heat coming from the unit outside and cold inside. This lasts for on ly one minute and the unit stops blowing cold but the fan will continue to operate. After a minute or 2, I can press the door switch button again and it will work for a nother 1/2 minute to minute. Is this an indication of low freon level?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/10/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Are you running this in A/C mode or heating mode?
Please clarify this for me. R.J.
running in a/c mode
Does your unit have a 30 amp shore cord or a 50 amp shore cord and what else do you have on that is using AC current? Refer or water heater? What did you have the A/C setting on for temp? Get back to me and lets see where we are. R.J.

I was running on the generator. I have experienced the same while using 30 amp shore power. There was no other ac current draw at the time.

O.K..........go HERE for a copy of the Service Manual. I would print out a copy or at least Bookmark this for reference. Read through the trouble shooting section and then get back to me. A VOM meter will be needed to take some readings. If you don't have one they can be purchased at most automotive stores, hardware stores or Radio Shack for about $15. I think the digital readout versions are easier for most people to read. I will watch for your post. I will be here all day tomorrow. R.J.
I skimmed through the manual earlier, however I ran out of time while at the coach. The part that makes me wonder is the fact that is does operate for a short period of time. It will be several days before I have an oppertunity to look into it further. Thats why I was hoping you would just "snap your fingers " and make it work. Do you know where I can find a magic wand?
I had some around earlier today..........big demand for those here! It sounds like a run capacitor that is bad. Just a "magic wand" kind of guess. If the compressor kicks back off then it us usually because the run capacitor isn't developing the needed voltage to keep it going. Those aren't very expensive. They can be tested with a sweep style VOM but if you are going to do that be careful as they can give you a very nasty shock! I believe the manual covers this. It could be several things but that would be my first choice based on what you have told me. I will watch for your post. R.J.
I will try that in a couple of days. I'll keep this msg as new and get back to you. There may be other questions along the way. I know you need to get payed. I also need to get this solved. Chat with you soon.
I am here every day except Saturday............I will watch for your post. R.J.
Any progress on this issue? Please let me know if you need more help with this. R.J.