RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Ford: the fuel tank someone put stuff in it.The rv..towed..drove…

Customer Question
I have a 07 e...
I have a 07 e 450 with v10 in a motorhome i need to clean out the fuel tank someone put stuff in it.The rv does run but when it get to 3000 rpm or i am towing it cuts out. I took it to a ford dealership and they replaced the fuel pump on my drive home it started doing the same thing.I had it towed to a different ford dealer ship and they said that it had fuel contamination and wanted $1700.00 to fix it since that is not a option I went and picked it up drove it 100 miles back to my house it did ok just kept it under 3000 rpm. My question is do you think i need a new fuel pump or will just cleaning it out work and do you have a diagram of this procedure
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
6/9/2010
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Step one is going to be verifying you actually have a concern with the fuel pressure, do you have a gauge to check the pressure through various rpms?

No

You are going to have to buy a pressure gauge and hook it up to the fuel injector rail. Now place it somewhere it can be monitored while driven. if you see the pressure drop then you do have a pump pressure issue or a trash issue causing a restriction. To clean out a fuel tank you have to remove the fuel tank and wipe and blow it out.

Reply if additional help is needed before or after accepting the answer