RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

15 minutes..the AC is turned on... when the blower motor is..blows…

Coleman Mac 1 - Year...
Coleman Mac 1 - Year 2000 - When I run the AC for about 15 minutes the power cord starts to heat up only when the AC is turned on... when the blower motor is on - no AC all is good. When AC is needed the cord heats up and the 15 amp breaker blows...

The AC will make a sound just prior to the fuse blowing a high pitch... Is my compressor shot?

Greg
6/1/2010
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer....

It could be the compressor and if you have a volt meter you can do some testing. THIS should be your unit. IF not let me know the exact model number. This will walk you through the troubleshooting. Check the capacitors also, I have seen a few of these burn up and they will melt the wires on the cap when they go. Also make sure you are not using a long extension cord plugged into a regular household outlet, you can have line loss, the cord would get hot and not be able to handle the load. Hope this helps...

The cord used is the 120 volt cord supplied with the unit. It plugs in externally into the pop up designated outlet...

OK

How long have you had this problem? Another expert pointed out that a 20 amp breaker needs to be used and you mentioned a 15 amp breaker. On a very hot day it would pull 20 amps and can trip a 15 amp breaker. You can see the breaker protection on the manual I sent you on the wiring print. This would be something to look at if somebody has replaced that breaker with a lower rated breaker. In any event you can still do some testing with the compressor and capacitors.

Thanks, Robert

It started as soon as I took the popup out of storage a couple of weeks ago. I've owned the RV since 2008 with no problems. live in Texas so it has kept up with the heat...

OK

I need to explain some things so we are on the same page. I am trying to eliminate the source as the issue, as it can also be the compressor.

Most standard household plugs only supply 15 amps, your plug is rated or should be110v 30a, which most campgrounds do supply. So if you are using 15 amps service it could be overloading the compressor requires about 15 amps to start and when running draws around 10 amps much more on a hot day. When you plug in the converter also requires amps to charge the battery and if you are running anything at all on AC voltage the circuit will get overloaded very quickly. SO what I would do is shut off all the breakers but leave the AC on and the main on to see if the AC stays running, if it stays running most likely the unit is being overloaded from the power source. Since you have had no problems in the past with the breaker tripping and if you verify nothing has changed check the compressor and capacitors in the AC unit.

Another item I just thought of that has changed is you took the unit out of storage the battery could have been low. The converter might be working hard trying to charge the battery which would draw more amps and put more of a strain on the system, so make sure that battery is fully charged. Unplug the unit and it should remain around 12 volts. IF the voltage is lower have it load tested, most auto parts stores will do this for free.

I hope you can understand where I am going with this. IT is possible the compressor or another component is in the AC is the issue, however need to make sure the system is not being overloaded...

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic