RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Blown..cooling..the exterior panel on the back side of the trailer…

A 5amp fuse in the...
A 5amp fuse in the fridge box was blown and the error light on the fridge came on. We replaced the fuse but the fridge is still not cooling. The ampages all check out fine and the unit feels cool from the exterior panel on the back side of the trailer. There are no signs of leaking ammonia. The check/error light is not appearing on the fridge any longer. Any easy way to make this work again? It's a 1995 Mallard by Fleetwood 35' travel trailer. Dometic Fridge, standard 8 cu. ft. I believe 2 door fridge.
5/28/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Are you using this on LP or AC mode? What is the model number of this refer so I can pull the correct manual. Do you have a VOM meter to take some voltage readings? Get back to me with this information and I will help you resolve this. I will watch for your post. R.J.

I am at work and have SOME of the information - We were trying to get it to work using AC mode. Not positive of model, it came standard with the camper when my husband bought it....he checked the voltage readings last night after replacing the fuse and everything was within normal range. We kept it plugged up and "running" all night on automatic, no error light came back on but it wasn't "cool". The camper is not level and is on a slope for viewing, should we stabilize/level it and go from there? Would the fact that it is sloping toward the back side (Refridgerator sloping backward) interfere with it cooling - we were told this COULD be the problem -

I will get the other information this afternoon when my husband gets home from work and post more then.

Being out of level is CRITICAL to cooling properly and can ruin the cooling unit if you do this. Turn it off and level it to within 3 degrees and let is sit a few hours and then turn it back on. Get back to me if this doesn't resolve this. If you get me the model number I should be able to get you a manual which is very helpful to have. On LP mode the LP pressure at the regulator is important and should be checked at least once a year. Low LP pressure is responsible for many gas related issues on the refer and the furnace. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the bonus.........much appreciated! I will mention you in my will........Wink R.J.
We leveled the camper and checked again. The heating element seems to not be functioning now. We switched to LP and it seemed to cool for a few moments then stopped. What next? Please tell me there is a simple fix for this! Thank you for your help!
If you give me the make and model of your refer I can grab the manual for this and give you some ideas on things to try. I will watch for your post. I am on here every day except Saturday. R.J.
Dometic 2612 is the model. Thank you again!
O.K...........Go HERE for a manual for this unit. You will need to have a VOM meter to check the electric AC element to see if it is any good. Take the cover off the control board and see if the fuses are good. You also need to see how much voltage is coming into the back at the 12 VDC feel and for the 120 VAC plug. Get back to me and let me know what you find. R.J.
The heating element tests to be bad. BUT it still won't work on the gas when completely level. No smell of ammonia, no powdery substance visible either. My husband has checked all of the lines for the gas as well as all connections and everything checks out. Sounds like a blockage perhaps? Is there anything we can do to fix the blockage?
Does it have a strong blue flame on LP mode? Do you hear any "gurglling" sounds like an old percolator coffee pot? The flame should look like it is almost ready to lift off the burner head. If it isn't, then the LP pressure at the regulator may need adjusting. Check the thermistor. Go HERE for a manual which should show the readings. Find you model number. The thermister test is on page 58 under "8E" This has a ton of information in it and I would print it out or at least Bookmark it for reference. If all this proves negative for results, I will give you the next thing to try. I will watch for your post. R.J.

Edited by RANDALL on 5/30/2010 at 4:06 PM EST
The usual test for the cooling unit to check if it is working properly is to take an old lamp cord or some kind of cord you may have around from on old monitor or computer and put some spade terminals on the ends of the wires so you can plug the heating element directly up to the cord after you tape off the leads so you don't short them out. This requires a good heating element. Then you just plug the cord in and let it sit for about 4 or 5 hours and see what the results are. If it cools, you know it is a problem in the controls. If not, you need to take the refer out and be ready for replacing it or rebuilding it or at least trying to dislodge the plug. Sometimes that works. Let me know if you need more help with this. R.J.