RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

What kind of generator is used for a 1990 Coachman Catalina motorhome?

I would definitely go with an Onan unit and some coaches are already wired for one. That would help. Hopefully it has a compartment that is designed to accept one. If not, you will have to ventilate it and add the wiring and the transfer switch. If you buy a used one you can probably get all that included. As long as it isn't too old and not lots of hours on it you should be fine. Look at the oil to see if it is real black which might indicate a lack of maintenance. Go HERE for a long list of places that specialize in used RV parts. Shop around and take your time. The price will vary quite a bit and you can have one put on a pallet and shipped to you. I suspect you have more questions, but I wanted to give you some of the basics you would need. I would get at least a 4K unit like a Microlite. I would look at another coach like yours with a genset and see where they installed it. If you see an electrical box that looks like it has no use that may be a clue. You have to have the bottom of the compartment open for exhaust and intake air and keep that in mind in choosing a location. The last Microlite unit I sold used had about 100 hours on it and it went for $800 which the buyer thought was a real deal. Onan makes such a superior product that I wouldn't go with anything else but there may be cheaper units. A new one is about $3,500 or so plus the exhaust and wiring. If you have some electrical skills you might be able to do this yourself as that part is fairly easy and you can ask us here for help. 

Read full interaction below »

I have a 1990 Coachman Catalina motorhome. I bought it used and it didn’t have a generator. I want to install a used one but am uncertain what kind to purchase. What kind would I need? Also, I don’t know if there was ever one in it. Does it matter? If never installed is it as easy as buying one and installing it?

5/27/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I would definitely go with an Onan unit and some coaches are already wired for one. That would help. Hopefully it has a compartment that is designed to accept one. If not, you will have to ventilate it and add the wiring and the transfer switch. If you buy a used one you can probably get all that included. As long as it isn't too old and not lots of hours on it you should be fine. Look at the oil to see if it is real black which might indicate a lack of maintenance. Go HERE for a long list of places that specialize in used RV parts. Shop around and take your time. The price will vary quite a bit and you can have one put on a pallet and shipped to you. I suspect you have more questions, but I wanted to give you some of the basics you would need. I would get at least a 4K unit like a Microlite. I would look at another coach like yours with a genset and see where they installed it. If you see an electrical box that looks like it has no use that may be a clue. You have to have the bottom of the compartment open for exhaust and intake air and keep that in mind in choosing a location. The last Microlite unit I sold used had about 100 hours on it and it went for $800 which the buyer thought was a real deal. Onan makes such a superior product that I wouldn't go with anything else but there may be cheaper units. A new one is about $3,500 or so plus the exhaust and wiring. If you have some electrical skills you might be able to do this yourself as that part is fairly easy and you can ask us here for help.