RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Pacifica: Norcold..08..we have is that the refrigerator cooling fins…

Customer Question
Gentlemen, We have a Norcold 12101M55...
Gentlemen,
We have a Norcold 12101M55, serial(NNN) NNN-NNNN group 70118 in our '08 National Pacifica. (As you may be aware National is out of business so we have no product support.) The problem we have is that the refrigerator cooling fins are icing up more quickly than they have been. [You need to be aware that we have 32K miles on the RV and we have lived with our Norcold happily until this past summer when the cooling fins began to ice up badly - no apparent change in humidity or change in refrigerator setting (which was six).] After the RV has sat for several months, I began getting her ready to go off fo our trips a month or so ago. Since we had problems last summer, I set the fridge on 3 a week or so ago, to see what would happen. The unit is cooling fine (on AC). The fins are icing from the top of the fins down. At this point after a week the ice is touching fin to fin at the top and tapering down to the bottom of the fins. In short, we are headed for an ice up. You need to be aware that water is beading on the cieling of the refrigerator. Diagnosis?

Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2010
RV Mechanic: RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC replied 12 years ago
RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC
HI;

HAVE YOU INSPECTED THE RUBBER SEAL ALL THE WAY AROUND THE DOOR? IF THE SEAL IS IN GOOD SHAPE AND TOUCHING ALL THE WAY AROUND. THEN TURN OFF THE REFER SO THE ICE MELTS, THEN TAKE VINEGAR AND WIPE DOWN THE WHOLE INSIDE OF THE REFER AND THE RUBBER SEALING GASKET. YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. THANK YOU FOR USEING JUST ANSWER.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT

Hi Robert

I will not get a chance to sort thru things on the RV until Tuesday. I need to let you know that the doors of the fridge 'double click'shut and then can be clicked one more time ad infinitum, left door, right door etc. In short, I'm not sure they are adjusted to the closed position correctly - but, looking at the lock hasp and the way the two catches fit together in the 'locking' mechanism, I'll be darned if I can see how the doors (and rubber gaskets) might be adjusted for a tighter seal against the 'moveable door seal.'

Bought a bottle of white vinegar today. I'll let you know if it works as a cleaning agent. (the door gaskets and sealing surfaces have been cleaned, but one more time never hurts.) Brad

HI;

I AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU. DO YOU HAVE A THERMOMETER IN YOU REFER?

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT

robert

will put thermometer in there tuesday

HI;

OK WAITING TO SEE HOW IT DOES.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Robert Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. In the interim Iplaced five thermometers in the box to see if there was agradient - no gradient. I cycled thru the settings 3 to 9 and got readings of 42 to 36 (2 degree variation top to bottom). Then I defrosted the box and got readings of 38 to 36 regardless of 1- 9 setting. The box has a fan shaped area of water beads at the top when there is ice on the fins, less of a moisture 'fan' with frost on the fins. Paper pulled from between box and door indicates that there is 'less of a seal' at the top where the doors come together. My conclusion is that the seals on doors need to be replaced and if there were a way to shim the door seals out that would probably solve the leak of air into the box. There appears to be no way to adjust the doors to seal tighter. Thanks Brad
HI BRAD;

THERE IS NO ADJUSTMENT FOR THE DOOR ON THE HINGE SIDE BECAUSE OF THE CLEARANCE NEEDED FOR THE RUBBER GASKET. ON SOME REFERS I HAVE SEEN WHERE PEOPLE HAD ADDED A EXTRA LATCH TO MADE THE DOOR CLOSE TIGHTER.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC