RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2000 Fleetwood: rv..air conditioner and refrigerator does not work…

Customer Question
We just purchased a 2000...
We just purchased a 2000 Fleetwood RV and found the air conditioner and refrigerator does not work. A friend said it takes R22 Freeon but cannot locate any info. on who sells it. We live 55 ml. So. of Pittsburgh, PA or more precisely Morgantown, WV. I pray these items will not have to be replaced. Any info. will be appreciated.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
5/26/2010
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

I think on this one you might have to get to a shop. Most AC units are sealed units and if you have a leak something is wrong. Not only that special handling licenses are required to work with the R-22. IF you have an LP or propane operated fridge it does not take R-22, Where electric refrigerators use safe, non-flammable Freon for their refrigerant, gas (propane) RV refrigerators use compressed hydrogen gas and an ammonia-water solution.

IF you do find an RV shop you want to ask about any recalls on the fridge. Some manufacturers do have recalls and you want a reputable RV shop to have knowledge about this. It really could be something simple, verify you have good voltage. Both units require 12 volts for the control boards to operate correctly. Make sure the coach breakers are not shut off. It would be odd that both components failed at once. I would have a shop have a look it will take about an hour per item to find the problem..

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you. Do you have any advice on where to find a shop?

Camping world is all over the US and they do have a service department with qualified Techs. IF you get me the model number and manufacturer of the fridge OR the model of your fleetwood I can check and see if there is a recall for you. It would only take a few mins to find out. I would look for a camping world. Another option is to look for a mobile RV repair service to come to you. Most mobile RV techs would have knowledge of these items.... I will also take a quick look and see if anything is in your area. IF you let me know the Model of your fleetwood I can check on that fridge....

Thanks, Robert

Thanks Robert. I think I may ebjoy this site! It's a 1990 Fleetwood, Model STORM 32v.

OK

Yes this is a great site, I been an expert on this site for three years and a RV Tech for about 10 years. Sometimes it is a challenge but it is rewarding.

OK I spent some time looking and it looks like everything is north or south of you. I can say that there is a camping world north 100 miles of Pittsburgh. The good thing about that is they should have a secured site you can hook up at night if you had to stay. They should have sewer hook ups, electric hook ups and water. It may be best to drop off the unit which is common for owners to do.

Might be a recall and here is the information so you are informed and can inquire with the shop about it. This way if the recall is part of that issue most of the cost should be paid for.... Hope this helps some more!!!! (Maybe I should start an RV repair service shop in your area, I can not beleive nothing is around!)

make: FLEETWOOD Model: STORM
Model Year: 2000
Manufacturer: FLEETWOOD ENTERPRISES, INC. Mfr's Report Date: FEB 27, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V120000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 167096
Summary:
CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES AND TRAVEL TRAILERS EQUIPPED WITH A TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATOR, MANUFACTURED BY THE DOMETIC CORPORATION, MAY HAVE A DEFECT IN THE BOILER TUBE. PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION COULD BE RELEASED INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
Consequence:
RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
FLEETWOOD WILL BE WORKING WITH DOMETIC IN ORDER TO REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS (PLEASE SEE 06E076). DOMETIC WILL REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS BY INSTALLING A SECONDARY BURN HOUSING, A THERMAL FUSE, AND A MELT FUSE FREE OF CHARGE. DOMETIC HAS RETAINED STERICYCLE INC. TO MANAGE THIS CAMPAIGN. STERICYCLE WILL ASSIST YOU IN LOCATING DEALERSHIPS OR SERVICE CENTERS AND WILL PROVIDE ASSISTANCE WITH SCHEDULING OF APPOINTMENTS. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC/STERICYCLE AT 1-888-446-5157 OR FLEETWOOD AT 1-800-322-8216.

WOW! Thank you so very much....my Son is already asleep so I cannot show him your info. Are you on here alot so I can get back to you tomorrow sometime. Plus, with this excellent service I have to get his cr.card & see what he wants to put into this. I am most grateful for your answers. Again, thanks! XXXXX

Yes I am on the west coast and will be in and out Today...

Thanks, Robert