RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Montana: electrical..two wires which blew the RV..trailer…

Customer Question
I have a 1988 Teton...
I have a 1988 Teton "Montana" 40' RV, bit old but really is a nice unit, anyway I have a electrical problem, driving me crazy. I was hooking up outside perimiter lights and accidentally touched two wires which blew the RV parks 30 amp circuit breaker. I clicked it back on and although it was producing power and working, nothing in the trailer worked. I found two circuit boxes, one out side with two breaker, they were fine, and one inside with four breakers and it was fine. I checked the suses in the "transformer" unit and it was all fine, BUT I cannot get any powrer to the trailer, this one has me going crazy, if anyone has a wiring schematic for this unit, really would be appreciated or simply tell me what the problem is..

Thanks
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
5/22/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
First question is are you plugging into 50 amp or 30 amp service?
Do you have a volt meter to do some tests with?
First thing to check with the meter is the outlet on the pole,if you have power there next step will be see if you have power into the breaker box in the trailer,if you have 110 volts into the box,see if you have 110 volts out of each breaker to the outlets.
Let me know we will go from here.

Hi Gene,

I am somewaht of a pretty good carpenter, been around the renovation business for the past 50 or so years, so electrical work is not all that difficult for me, BUT this problem is weird... Yes the current is on at the pole, yes the current comes into a 4" junction box that has one lead in, i.e. the actual black cord that comes with the trailer, then out of this junction box one lead that runs into the trailer wall, all the while the jumction box is live.

Now here is where the mystery starts, first I cannot trace where the wire runs from the junction box, but I think it runs to a four breaker box but the breaker box is not live, although I am pretty certain this is where the feed comes to, anyway let me go on, I bypassed the wires leading to the breaker box and placed my own wire to the box, it now is live, BUT still no pwer to the Power Transformer??? OK, so I went directly to the Power Transform with another wire I plugged into the trailer next door, I heard the transformer go on, BUT only half the trailer worked, the back half, bathroom bedroom, etc. but the front did not???

Anyway it seems I have to tarce the actual wire from the junction box, have to open quite a few walls and probably the ceiling, darn shame.

By the way, everything was working fine for years, but I was building a deck and crossed some wires and it blew the circuit, since that time, nothing seems to work, the transformer is or the power converter is a B-W Mfg. Model 323OUL and it is dated, 1988. It is a 30 amp.. maybe, just maybe a circuit kicked off internally???

Nick

Nick,
You mentioned 2 breakers outside,where are they located?In the front compartment?
Does this unit have an inverter in it?
Does all the 12 volt lights and appliances work and now only the 110 outlets are not working?

None of the receptacle outlets work, inside or outside, the only lights working are in the front of the trailer, the bedroom, bathroom area, none of kitchen and living room are working. The breaker panel outside, well not exactly outside but the compartment where the electric enters, the 30 AMP black cable area, BUT this breaker box does not connect with the main power coming in, at least directly, the main power coming in, the 30 amp goes directly into a 4" junction box where a wire leads out to somewhere, I am trying to trace that wire now, it seems to run upwards towards the roof area and into another breaker panel box with four breakers, one called "Main" the other two are Washing Machine" and "Dryer", the last one is a spare. I will find out exactly where the power runs later on in the day when I get home, even if I have to rip out a wall and ceiling.

I ran a direct wire from the 4" powered junction box directly to the Converter, and still only the bath/bed lights work. I also checked and double checked all the bus fuses, all are good.

N

On the dc lights,with a meter or test light you need to see what is missing,you either lost a ground or a hot,if all the fuses are good I would suspect you lost a ground to the lights that are not working,you can run a jumper wire to the lights to check this.
As far as the 110 problem,I would say the power should come from the junction box where the power cord is to the breaker box with the breaker marked main,as far as the breaker box outside in the compartment,that one has me wondering what its purpose is?Maybe for a pre wire for a generator,without looking at this it's hard to say.
Back in the 80's Teton was the top of the line and we used to sell them where I worked,but its been a while.Let me know what you find,I'll try to help all I can.