RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

motor home..operating but the refrigerator doesnt seem to be cooling…

we are having trouble with...
we are having trouble with our refrigerator. we just bought the motor home and are trying to get the refrigerator to run on gas. all systems seem to be operating but the refrigerator doesn't seem to be cooling. the freezer seems to be working properly. is there anything we should be doing or should check??
5/13/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Have you tried the fridge on electric?
Need to see if it works on electric or if it don't work on either mode,we can do further tests after we find out.
Can you give me the make and model as well,I can get a service manual for you.
Make & model Dosmestic new demensions. Try it on genarator. Freeze began frosting up. How long should it take to show signs of working.
It takes up to 24 hours to get the fridge down to temperature,alot of things come into play,outside temp,temp inside the box at start up,but in 12-24 hors the box should be a operating temp.
to be clear, the freezer is showing signs of working, but the fridge should take longer?? One other thing, on our trip home from purchasing the fleetwood expediton there was a puddle of water on the floor next to the refrigerator. this only happened that one time, however we have only had the motor home 2 weeks and have not really used the fridge at all.
Your right,the freezer will always cool down before the fridge,that is the way they are designed.,as far as the water on the floor,on the outside of the unit there is an access door,there is a drain tube that comes from the fridge,it should either go into a drain pan or come out the access door,check it.
What is the model number of the Dometic fridge,should be on the inside of the fridge side panel.
the number is XXXXX another question about cooling, would it cool quicker if i used reducers on the electric power cord and plugged it to a 120 in my garage? we are leaving in the morning for a long trip and would like the fridge to be cooling well.
The best thing to do is plug the coach in a couple days before your trip,this way the batteries are charging and at full charge,turn the fridge on elec. and let it run,they recommend to have the fridge down to temp. and the food be cold when it is put in.The RV fridge does not cool as quickly as your house fridge.If you put warm things in the fridge and the fridge is not at operating temp,it will take quite a while to get it down to operating temp.
gene
gene, RV Mechanic